close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fog delay

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by goggleye57, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Woo Hoo!! School fog delays this morning in North East Indiana :evil:

2. Three-hour delay for me...I'm still at home!

3. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

While you boys are relishing your delay, I'm slaving away trying to teach our future leaders.

Oh, did I mention I have a student teacher?

4. ....so we are assuming the student teacher is teaching our future leaders while you are on here!!! Way to work it Cary.

5. Translation: Cary is in the lounge reading the newspaper and drinking coffee while the student teacher is taking the spit wads and all the guff. Way to go Cary....you're a real trooper.

Man, I remember my student teacher; he helped me with nothing at all. He was a hands off teacher. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing....knowing that in this day and age there are enough "hands on" teachers out there.

6. Fog delay was only for the working man or should I say only for teachers and bus drivers. HA! Just kidding

7. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

If only it were that easy....this is my 12th student teacher....If you get a bad one, you play hell to get your classes going again when they leave. One problem is kids will act differently when the teacher is in the room.

What's interesting is out of the 12, he's only my second male student teacher.

Pardon me, got to go drink some more coffee.

8. ;) How involved do you get with your student teachers Cary (so to speak)? Just curious.....

9. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Dean, very involved. They're my classes, so I don't want anyone to screw them up...it's a fine line. When to turn them loose. I keep my honor's English...he's in observing that...he's taking over all the college prep which I'm sitting in on....I have one basic class that I sit in on. Eventually, they have to be in charge of the class. He's been with me four weeks now. I'll know when he's ready to take charge...it's not now.

Probably, he'll take charge of at least two weeks of classes. Doesn't seem like much but to a student teacher, it's a life time.

10. Wow, I would have loved to have had you for a Student Teacher. Mine pretty much just turned me loose.

11. I've never had a full student teacher. I've had some participation students but not the full student. But almost no one becomes chemistry teachers. Maybe thats why there is a big time shortage.

12. That and the state of Indiana requires its Math and Science teachers to be able to compute the data for launching a space ship into outer space before they are able to get a license. I went into math thinking I wanted to be a teacher, but when I realized that I had to start at Calc I, and go up from there I said this isnt worth it. I can have a math degree and take the same classes and probably find a decent job paying more with the math degree. I stopped taking classes after my Calc II class. I sat in class everyday and wondered when in the hell i would use any of this to teach a junior or senior trigonometery or geometery. It was ridiculous. One of the courses that is required by the state of Indiana is advanced linear algebra. Not hard but completely useless to high school teachers, another is computer programming. Im not talking word and excel classes. Its Visual Basic computer programming. What in the world for???? Anybody can get an english teaching license (no offense JL) maybe thats why there are so many of those, but the math and sciences are a complete joke. The amount of stuff they want you to know completely dilutes what you will actually be teaching. Just my point of view I suppose. Alright back to work. Good day fellas.

13. I guess i'm lucky - I got my license before they started testing :yikes: I might not be here otherwise :) ( the downside of course is I'm old! )

14. Well when I went to school in West Virgina we only had one teacher and oh yes we just had one room and now I remember we only had 21 kids. In other words I went to a one room schoolhouse, 1st thru 8th grade and I was so smart that they tested me and I went from the 4th grade to the 6th grade and out of high school at the age of 15.

15. Glad to hear its difficult to become a math and science teacher. Technology is important and the people or China and India are passing us fast in that department. Innovation is what made this country what it is. I just feel bad you guys can't execute capitol punishment anymore. I see what you have to deal with when I'm trying to hire new employees.