close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Food Plots Is It Legal To Hunt Over Them In Indiana??

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Keith Franklin, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Just wanted to know if it is legal to hunt over them in Indiana and if so what are some good ones to plant ?? Thanks for any help Keith

2. As far as I know it is not considered bating and you are allowed to hunt over them here.

3. Keith, the QDM website is a good place to go. Lots of good food plot info. It varies alot, and alot of things work. But that is a good place to start.

4. One of the most efficient things and cheapest things ive heard of and used it clover. It will also provide your herd with the things they need to become more mature. Though if money isn't an issue there are other things that are even better.

5. Foodplots are perfectly legal. I would stick to products produced by Imperial Whitetail Clover and Tecomate. These have both proven to be excellent. A great fall plot is Buck Forage Oats. There are obviously many more out there, but these have proven to be really good, and preferred by deer.

Regular clover is adequate, but the big companies have engineered varieties based on palatability, and nutritious to deer. The Imperial products in particular are as good as advertised.

6. Dean- are you a seed dealer now too! Those products are good, but very expensive if you are planting very much. I prefer to save a lot of money and go to the local ag / farm supply dealer. Trophy Oats are $30.00 for 45lbs, I plant whole oats at $6.40 for 50lbs, and they grow great. Ladino clover is only about $3.60 per pound, TURNIP-$4.80 per pound.

7. Keith, Here are a few things I plant for deer. For annual plots, other than corn and beans, I use sunflower, sorghum, buckwheat, oats, wheat, and turnip.
    For perennial plots I use ladino clover, alfalfa, small burnett, birdsfoot trefoil, and Kentucky bluegrass. You can plant these in a pure stand or mix them to meet your needs. I have had good success with a mix of ladino clover, with a little alfalfa, and kentucky bluegrass. For areas you will drive on, like a lane or path, I use less clover and add birdsfoot trefoil, you can mow it, and it will last for years.

8. I don't know...someone told me deer don't eat turnips...:evilsmile

9. A buddy of mine said he planted one of his food plants in turnips and the deer tore it up.

10. Those are Scott's high class, finicky deer.:cheeky-sm :cheeky-sm :cheeky-sm
    I have down home country deer - they will eat almost anything and be happy! :)

11. Welcome to the site Keith. Good to have you here.

The sister site to this one, Michigan-Sportsman.com, has 32 pages of threads pertaining to food plots & whitetail habitat. Here's a link to the whitetail habitat forum.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84

Specific to food plots, the best book that pertains to the midwest is "Ultimate Deer Food Plots" by Ed Spinazzola. Ed is a retired Michigan farmer. The Executive Director of the QDMA, Brian Murphy, says that Ed is "widely considered to be one of the nation's top food plot experts, especially in the Northern U.S".

Ed's book can be purchased at qdma.org.

12. Thanks For All The Help Will Try Going To Start With An Acre Plot !!!

Thanks Again

13. Side Slapper has too many deer on his property and the poor things have to eat turnips or die. Kidding aside, turnips are a homerun or strike out. I talked to two other guys who have the same situation. One can't keep them alive due to over browsing and the other can't get a deer to even sniff them.

I have had good success with Imperial clover and Tecomate Monster Mix. Imperial claims their clover is better than off the shelf ladino clover, but you would say that too if you were the one selling it.

Don't rule out soybeans either.

14. The Imperial is much better than just a run-of-the-mill Ladino Clover. I'd challenge anyone to plant a field of regular Ladino and Imperial side by side. I guarantee that deer would walk right through the regular stuff to get to the Imperial. It's genetically engineered to be more palatable and more nutritious than run-of-the-mill Ladino clover. With this said, Ladino clover would still be better than nothing at all.

15. Hey Keith, If you're interested I could offer you some suggestions on how to go about preparing your seed bed. I've got a couple years of experience under my belt and can give some advice. I love putting out food plots. If interested, e-mail me at deanweimer43@yahoo.com.