close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Food Plots

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by anon782010, Jun 11, 2007.

How many acres of food plots do you manage, if at all?

1. I currently don't manage any foodplots.

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. < .5 acre

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. .5 acre to 1 acre

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. 1 to 5 acres

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. > 5 acres

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. How many of you manage food plots, and how big are they?

2. None....not needed where I hunt!!!!! Food plots are over RATED in my eyes....;)

3. My nephew and I put in small food plots on the far East portion of his place, the woods and fields we hunt are on the West portion of his property. We don't hunt over the plots, but he enjoys watching the deer hit the plot in the evenings from his Kitchen windows. It gives the deer a leg up early spring when food is not plentiful, and gives us a great idea as to what is on the property to hunt. Sounds like this year is showing some promise. I know a few of the bucks will leave the batchelor group before fall, but sounds like there are a few dandies out there this year.

The plots we put out are pretty small, less than 1/2 an acre each.

4. Dandies you say...any todies, keith? haha

5. Better check with Tuck on that one....
    He does make me wade into the river first for some reason.

6. MINE NEEDS LOTS OF RAIN, IT`S STUNTED FROM THE HEAT AND DRYNESS.

7. I don't manage any. Food Plots = Poaching

8. food plots = poaching ?? What does that mean?

9. It means it should be illegal. It's nothing short of baiting.

10. Interesting thought process.

Sooooo you don't ever hunt on an Oak ridge or beside a corn or bean field or apple tree or any trails leading to or from any of them ?

11. We are now over 11+ acres for Food-Plots in the properties we manage for wildlife..........and growing. It is a good feeling to put that extra feed out and see how it is used not only by deer but by all wildlife. We had a VERY cold winter this year and all the area animals/fawns are in much better shape due to our hard work.

That feels good to the heart. :coolgleam

Tree............just trying to understand this...........

When we put out food-plots that serve as a buffer to our neighboring farmers and hunt them or trails coming to and from ......differs from those hunters that hunt trails leading to or on edges of farmed fields of corn, hay, beans, etc? I can assume you don't hunt those field edges or trails leading to and from them? If that's the case.............you have been blessed to hunt in Indiana in more remote/undisturbed places than most will ever get to lay eyes on.

I guess if we were to take this concept to fishing of using nothing to draw the fish in that looks/tastes like their natural environment ........... we'd be down to bare hooks only? :biggrin:

Not hammerin' on anyone...........just interesting logic..........trying to take the time to understand it.............that's what makes hunting so fun............we all got a little bit different way of doin' it. :coolgleam

12. I personally don't manage any food plots. The farms I hunt have plenty of corn, beans, or winter wheat to draw in deer.

I don't have a problem with food plots at all. Some guys that hunt down the road from me have food plots. I'd say the based on our conversations and trail camera photos, we see equal amounts of deer.

Just my opinion, but I don't really see a food plot as baiting, no more than I see scent drags, scent wicks, rattling, calling, or decoys as baiting. All are intended to bring deer in a general direction, not necessarily to designated point "X" like a feeder or pile of corn is designed to do.

13. Sure do...but they weren't put there to "intentionally" draw in deer. Deer are attracted to those things because that is what is available to them in their wild habitat. I scout the areas and determine where I think the sign shows me is the best places to put a stand. Food plot companies weren't started, solely, to develop better deer habitat. They were started to make a profit from hunters and have done so through the marketing techniques of promoting big bucks and bombarding the outdoor channels with advertising and entire shows relating to food plots.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  14. I have one in my back yard just so I can watch the deer. It doesn't do anything for my hunting but it is fun to watch the deer in the morning. The rabbits love it too.

15. Don't go and upset our MI friends now....