close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Food plots

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by hunter7x, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Just curious if anyone puts out food plots and what they plant. I live and hunt in Miami co and also hunt in Parke co. Put out my first plot this year in Miami and it's doing alright. I own 30 acres so the plot is pretty small, aprox 1/4 acre. It's right in the middle of my woods.
    I wanted to put out the secret spot mix I've seen advertised, however it's a fall planting so I just got a mixture of stuff from a seed co-op. It has alfalfa, birdsfoot trefoil and a lugume in it.
    I couldn't bring myself to cut down very many trees, so I cleared as best I could and thought I'd see what happened. Now that Turkey season is over and baseball is almost done, I'll do some more trimming to get more light to it. I think all I lack is more sunlight.

:cool:

2. We planted some Imperial Whitetail Clover in the fall of 2003 and it came up really well. But i didnt notice alot of "extra" deer activity.

[​IMG]

3. Actually we planted it at the end of march in 2004 not 2003 as i previously stated.

4. Most of Indiana is already RICH in deer food, unless the deer have exceeded the carrying capacity, food plots won't result in "attracting" too many deer.

Your time would be well spent fertilizing the food sources that already exist, do you have any hardwood trees that produce mast on that land?

5. Hello Camby i see your still alive :)

6. My property is full of hardwoods, but not a lot of close row crops. I am not really wanting a place to hunt over as much as to give the deer a reason to stay on my property longer or come onto my property from the surrounding properties.

Fertilizing some mast trees is an excellent and is also in my game plan.

:cool: