close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

? For some of you Northern guys

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by fordgo6, Mar 15, 2007.

1. I'm usually fishing for Bass and I always have a spinning rod or two on my deck, but I use a flipping stick or casting rods 80% of the time. Do you guys up there in the north water use spinning equipment and light line more when fishing for BASS, Walleye, and Perch? I'm asking because I may be going to Erie in June for a long weekend and I have a couple Bass tournaments on Wawasee (clear) this year (4/22 & 9/16). (Line and Baits) Any suggestions on either?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
  2. Personally, I am a light spinning rig man myself.

6-6'6'' rods, 6-12 lb line, with as small a diameter as I can get, and ALWAYS a spinning reel, something small enough to have touch, but big enough to take a bass beating...

no patience for baitcasters, and any i have ever tried to use, i didnt think i got the same feel of what was happening under the water...

A big reason for this is because 80% of the time I am throwing texas rigs, or small jigs.

When I decide to throw topwater, a crank, or whatever else may tickle my pickle, I still feel confident enough in my rig to not hesitate to tie it on.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007

3. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Tubes (light color) work well on Wawasee, especially on Smallmouth..I'm sure a Rattle Trap would work early. Also, a top water early in the a.m. on Wawasee (spinning) can work well.

4. A 6'6" to 7' medium with fast tip spinning rod with fresh 8 pound test mono. on a medium spinning reel is the ticket for Erie if you're drifting weight forward spinners and casting (Deeries or Weapons).

Bass? I'm sure some of the other fellas could answer this for you. I'm not much on baitcaster rigs. Most of my gear is rigged towards walleye. James Lyon, Fins&Grins, etc. would be good ones to talk to about this.

5. I throw baitcasters on 7' rods with 8 pound test 90% of the time up here....in Canada too. You don't have to scale down too much as far as I'm concerned. Cary's right on the tubes and rattle traps on Wawasee for your tournament in April. That's what I'd be throwing.

6. I think you saw what I'll be using. 6 and 8 lb test on them. Whats on Wawasee in April? I am thinking about signing up for one on Wawasee the 29th. Is yours an open tourney?

7. Thanx guys!
    Pigeon, the IBF (Indiana Bass Federation) is the weekend of 4/21 & 4/22. Its a pro/am type tournament, in-other-words the Boaters are fishing against the other boaters and the co-anglers are fishing against the other co-anglers. There should be over 100 boats there. The first IBF is on Patoka on 3/25 and its almost a full field (175 boats) The entry is $150 for Angler (boater) and $75 for co-angler (non-boater) and you need to be a member of FLW. Its a great Trail to fish. If you need any info, let me know. Registration deadline is one week before each tournament.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2007
  8. I use BOTH..

I use a combination of casting rods and spinning rods. The advantage of using the spinning tackle is the ability to present light weight lures with light weight line. You cannot do that very accurately with a casting outfit.

More than once I have caught bass by "downsizing" my tackle and starting to "finesse" fish. In the clear water lakes, it is easier to hide your line if you are using 6 or 8 lb. line and many times, the bass prefer a smaller bait making it appear to be an easier meal. If you are fishing open water where there are no stumps and obstacles to get hung up on.. I prefer to use lighter equipment.

IF, on the other hand, you are fishing more structure you will need to adapt to "power" fishing with heavier line and larger lures. It is true a bass can often locate a larger lure coming through the wather and if there is stumps, piers, and other obstacles present, the heavier equipment will be a better choice for success.

If you are a "Finesse" angler, don't over look the "skipping" technique. I have caught some very respectable bass on sunny days by skipping 4' worms under piers, pontoons, boat houses and low hanging limbs close to the bait.. It takes some practice but you can present a lure to places other anglers cannot with conventional casting.(If you need any detailed information about "skipping" feel free to email me..)

GOOD FISHING..
    Bud Fields

9. Hey Bud!!!!!! Good to see your presence. I too use both baitcasters and spinning. I prefer to fish the plastics on a 7' medium action rod w/ 6 - 10 lb P-line. Al depends on the vegetation. Anything else is on a baitcaster.