close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

For the Biology Gurus . . .

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by JoshS, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Yesterday while bowhunting one of my river bottom stands, I happen to see a little button buck. When I first noticed him through the binoc's, I saw a defect. Just below the chest/brisket area, he had a big bulge that hung down approx. 5-6 inches in between his front legs. What is it and what causes it. Will this little guy survive or be 'yote' food here in a couple of weeks. I didn't shoot him because I didn't know if I could eat it or not.

After letting him walk, I kind of got sick to my stomach, because I started to feel I should have helped him with an arrow.

Any thoughts??

2. I think he is a deer/kangaroo hybrid......kidding. I have seen pictures of deer with this defect before. I can't remeber what they called it. Don't think it was life threatening.

3. tumor?

They have shown a couple of these defects on NAW tv for their muzzy moments. I think they were tumors, but im not for sure. They probly have somthing on it if you go to www.northamericanwhitetail.com

4. Was it just a bulge under the skin, or was it a growth from the outside of the skin? If it was a growth, it was probably a fibroma. Fibroma's are caused by a virus and are neither life threatening to the deer, nor mean that the venison is unfit. The other scenario indicates that it possibly was some sort of infectious bulging under the skin which was also probably not bad for him, nor would it cause any problems for the meat. I'm bettin' this little dude will be fine, so you don't have to feel bad about not killing him. He'll be fine....
    Actually, he should probably be more concerned about this Saturday than his condition......

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2006
  5. My dad is a veal farmer and every once in a while we have a calf with a growth like you are talking about. It never seems to affect them in any way and there are no restrictions against these calves being butchered, so I'm assuming that it does not affect the meat.