close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Found a Head

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Rowdy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Rowdy

Rowdy

Found a nice 10 pointer today while scouting. I found the ribcage first and then the head about 30 feet away. Skull has very little meat or blood left on it....whats the best way to clean this and make it more white???

2. Boil it in water and/or let it bleach out in the sun naturally. I wouldn't suggest you use one of your wife's nice cookin' pans though.

3. After boiling but before putting it in the sun, soak it for 20 minutes or so in a weak (5%) solution of clorox bleach & water. Rinse thoroughly and then set it in the sun. It will make it nice & white. Don't make the solution too strong or leave it in the bleach solution too long or it will weaken the bone and cause some of the thin areas in the sinus cavity to become very brittle.

4. When they are beyond the point of boiling ( as in you cant be anywhere around it while boiling) I have buried them and let the worms eat all the goodies,,, then the bleach and sun will whiten it back up.

5. You could make it more white by taking it to a Jimmy Fallwell gathering at Christmastime........Ar ar ar!!!!!!!

6. Just set it out and let mother nature take its course.

7. 1st soak it in a solution of concentrated lysol to kill any bacteria left. say about 45 minutes. then pre wash it and scrub it with hydrogen pyroxide to get any dirt and blood particles out of it. rinse it of then soak it in about 50% bleach to water solution for an hr. or so. you may repeat this several times over a period of several days. give it a soft scrub each time. at this point it's unneccesary to boil it. boiling is used mainly to remove meat and muscle tissue and brain cavity on fresh sculls. sal soda also will help in the bleaching process if you have access to some. i would drill a small hole in the brain cavity base when the soaking begins to make sure to kill any bacteria. after each time you let it dry, scrub it with hydrogen pyroxide it's cheap then soak it again for an hr. or so in the bleach then let it dry in the sun. the more you do this the whiter it'll get.

8. this time of year the beetles are coming on they will clean it off mother nature does wonders

9. Leave It Alone.

JUST SET IT OUTSIDE. IF SQUIRRELS, CHIPMUNKS AND MICE ARE PRESENT YOU MINGT WANT TO WRAP THE ANTLERS, BUT NOTHING WILL CLEAN THE UN- DESIREABLES OFF THE BONE LIKE A MAGGET OR TWO.

10. Rowdy

Rowdy

Yeah, I dont think there is much use in boiling it either. I will take your advise and see how white I can make it. Thanks to everyone that posted on this subject.....even you Dean. lol

11. What, Dean posting on a site? That's rare.

12. you can get concentrasted lysol at most supermarkets. it comes in a little brown bottle. just mix 1 tbl spoon to eack gallon. very effective for bacteria.

13. I always tie a rope around the antlers and bury it until late june, then sun bleach it until sept:bouncy: