Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

found a massive shed...

5K views 53 replies 19 participants last post by  srvstratman21 
#1 ·
Im a big dumb hillbilly, I dont seem to know how to insert a photo in the post. You can go to the photo gallery and see the huge shed I found in Brown county today. The brow tine is massive! Squirrels got to it before I did.

And before you tell me to click the little photo feature with the mountains and postage stamp on it...it doesnt work for me.

#2 ·
Bocephus said:
Im a big dumb hillbilly, I dont seem to know how to insert a photo in the post. You can go to the photo gallery and see the huge shed I found in Brown county today. The brow tine is massive! Squirrels got to it before I did.

And before you tell me to click the little photo feature with the mountains and postage stamp on it...it doesnt work for me.

Here you go BO

#19 ·
Tree slugger....No southern gentleman!!!

I am sure they remember what happened in the last one????? That is if Treehugger didn't skip class to be with his "hippy" buddies. Uh hem!!!

:cheeky-sm

Honestly though, it seems like the bucks that come from "down South" do get bigger...any thoughts on that fellas!!!! Is it just because the habitat is better, allowing bucks to reach full potential???

#20 ·
Dean Weimer said:
I am sure they remember what happened in the last one????? That is if Treehugger didn't skip class to be with his "hippy" buddies. Uh hem!!!

:cheeky-sm

Honestly though, it seems like the bucks that come from "down South" do get bigger...any thoughts on that fellas!!!! Is it just because the habitat is better, allowing bucks to reach full potential???
I take offense to that comment...No Southern Gentleman...but that's what you wanted wasn't it...LOL. I'm not familiar with your terrain up there or crops, or crop time in the field, etc. Most of what we hunt down here is corn and beans that get planted early spring and there until Sept.- Nov. and sometimes later. Also acorn areas in the woods. Could agriculture growing seasons play a part in it? Maybe? Standing corn certainly provides a great hiding area for them sometimes all through the entire rut if the crop was not able to be harvested due to weather. There is also a lot wooded areas down here, how about up there...or has it not grown back from the Ice Age Glaciers? I was in class that day Dean! :evil:

#21 ·
And here I thought you "had no class"!!! LOL,LOL,LOL!!!!!

I think deer are deer and the genetics are pretty much the same statewide. Perhaps the sub Mason Dixon deer are growing older for some reason. My best guess would be habitat, but there again...I haven't been down that way enought to make a judgment call. I know around the Greene, Sullivan Co. area there is more brush type habitat than up here. A friend of mine from Linton said he thinks that the deer would be "easier" to hunt up here because of the lay of the land, etc. I've been down around Brookeville Reservoir, just getting into the "hill country" and it just looks more "wild" to me. For whatever that is worth. I do know that Parke,Vigo, etc. have put out a bunch of giants over the years. Perhaps the habitat is better...overall. I heard that the Terre Haute area put out a real monster this year...but, then I heard it "only" scored in the 160s N.T. I would have let that one go another year or two.:corkysm55

:bowdown: Treehugger= Master Buck Hunter!!!!!

#22 ·
Dean, Tree:

I am one of the "Southern" boys here from Indiana. I grew up near Patoka Lake, but now live near Raccoon Lake. I am starting to realize what all of the hype is about here in Parke County. One thing that sticks out in my mind that seems to be more conducive to producing big bucks (at least from my knowledge) is the soil. Is that a fair assessment of the situation or am I totally wrong. Don't get me wrong, there are still a lot of nice deer shot each fall, but nothing like what I hear about up north. There is also still a major problem of people still shooting that 1 1/2 forkhorn on opening day of shotgun season as well which also complicates the problem.

Anyways, there seems to be more of a rocky - sandy soil down south and the places that keep producing "nice" mature bucks are along the river bottoms.

#24 ·
Big bucks along rivers

Josh, Soil no doubt plays a huge part in antler growth. Generally, soils adjacent to major (and, in some cases, only minor) river systems are more fertile than those that exist away from rivers. This is one main reason why the Mississippi River, and its adjacent drainages, have an inordinate amount of Boone and Crockett entries when compared to other areas. The same goes for the Ohio River systems. Many of Indiana and Kentucky's (Ohio, etc.) true giants have come from those counties that lie along the river. The rivers actually carry the fertile nutrients, etc. and deposit them along the way. The adjacent soils act as a "sponge" and soak up the extra goodies. Animals that then eat plants from these soils reap the benefits of it. Nutrition is a huge factor in the growth of antlers, and bodies, etc.

#25 ·
Nutrients along drainages no doubt play a role, but I've seen the dirt in the flatlands of the north and they for the most part are very fertile and black. Much better quality soil than what we have in my county. What my area offers though that the north does not is escape cover. I think we see more big deer down here because we have so much more forest cover as compared to the north. It allows more deer to grow older.

#26 ·
Bocephus said:
The "Hoosier Dixon Line" has been drawn....US40 is the line, the south will rise again.

im General Bo Cephus..............Charge!!!!!!!!!!
BO...you've just eliminated me from the south...I'm a man without a zone...the north don't want me either!!! I live north of both US 40 and I-70. I do however live south of I-74 and 36. Redraw the line General and draft me to your side!!!

treehugger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.