close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fowler Pheasant draw

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Stouty Mick, Nov 21, 2006.

1. I have a hunt tomorrow for a pheasant draw in Fowler and Raub at a wild bird habitat. Has anyone hunted this are before? How do those birds jump?

2. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Never hunted there, but had a hunt last Sat. at Nickle Plate. We came as quietly as we could....all coming in from different directions. Even though many birds flew wild, we trapped many between us allowing for good dog work and good shots.

p.s. You are really going to have a good time...don't bother to count the birds...I tried and quit after 20

3. I can't wait. I hope my dog does well, we have been training hard.

4. As Cary has said you need to sneak in on them. Be very quiet when you get there. I've seen them run out of those habitat fields when they hear a car door slam. Hunt the edges first or come in as Cary did from all directions and force the birds to the center of the property. Otherwise they will fly/run off. Good luck.

Jack

P.S. Do not start your hunt early. The C.O.'s will check up on you and you better not be the field before starting time.

5. ccavacini, where is Nickle Plate at? Can you point me in the direction to find out more information about the place?

6. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Directions from the DNR: From Kentland (on 24) travel east 4 miles to Co Rd. 150 E. Turn south on 150 E and travel 2/1/2 miles. Property is on east side of the road.

Unfortunately, these properties are lottery draws only. They're not open to the public unless you hit the lottery date.

Cary