close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Friendly competition

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by Team_Abby, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Well Hello Fellow uplanders,

I am not sure this is the right place for this post but figured that the people that would be most interested would see it here.

Last year I found out about and participated in a friendly hunting dog competition in Ill. I met a lot of fun people and had a great time. I also had a chance to see how I myself and my dog stacked up against some other outdoor lovers. You can find out about this thru their website at
    Illiniosupland.com

That being said. How many of you do participate in these events or are interested in doing so? What do you feel are the pro's and cons" of such events in your opinions?

Jeff

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2005
  2. I run in all kinds of different trials. I like the "friendly" competition aspect of them, I really don't want it to become a "job". I've mainly ran AKC walking trials (puppy and gun dog). I also run in a lot of fun trials and some trophy trials (no title points) like the MUCC Gun Dog of Year and Mich Brittany Club Gun Dog Trophy trial.

I think its a great way to meet people and its a good off-season workout for both handler and dog. I plan on running some NSTRA this summer.

I also hunt test my dog. I'm starting his Senior this spring.

Most people I meet at these trials are great, but every once in a while you meet some real, shall we say =>:evilsmile :bash: :rant: :banghead3 If you know what I mean.

Its not as fun as hunting, but all in all, I would say trials and training for them have made both my dog and I better.

3. Hey!

I Hope u had permission to use that photo!:bash:
    From one blind hunter to another.
    Ray Charles... Filson's Bud.

4. Ray

Hello Ray,

Welcome to the site. Just for the record If I am not mistaken isn't that you next to Abby and I in that photo? Ray attended a Michigan-sportsman event with us in December. He is also my partner in these shooting events. Someday maybe I will explain the Ray name. ;)

Jeff

5. Last weekend competition

Well here we are last weekend in Freeport Illinios at the kick off of the Illinois upland championship series. We did ok but it was tough as there was a lot of flooding as you can see by the water level in the background. It was all of maybe 6 degrees outside on Sunday while we were hunting.

[​IMG]

6. Hey Jeff,

Email or PM me on this -- Looks like fun, I'm wondering how it works (judging format, placements, Invitation to championship, etc...)

7. I am all for this type of "FUN". I've been to Hunt Tests where "politics" became involved, Shoot to Retrieves in Michigan where "guys sticking birds up their pant legs" seem to want to WIN, WIN, WIN - at any cost. I would like a contest where this week MY dog won fair and square, and last week YOUR dog kicked my dog's butt - and then sit, joke and raz each other, and maybe share some training tricks - but keep it FUN - not about the "Prize".

Don't get me wrong - my dogs and I are extremely competitive and love a good run and a good clean trial is up our alley, as long as the dogs get the credit (finished or broke dogs) - and we get a little big chested - in the name of FUN. Most importantly, any other reason to run my dog and have fun would be my choice.

Anybody game in starting something?...

8. competition

Hey birdog,

I have a facility here in indiana that would love to do such a thing if you know of enough guys let me know i will have more free time after the 20 th of Feb as that is my next round.
    Anyone whom has an intrest pm me and we will see what we come up with.

9. I'm all for it too, count me in.

Jeff - you running the Illinois Upland on the 20th? I will also be there - Doing the 2-for-1.

There is a similar trial held on the 26th of Feb in Southern Indiana at Quail Ridge in Sunman (toward Cincy off of I-74). A friend of mine won it last year with his britt.