close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Frozen water pipes..........

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Hunter Hollis, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Hunter Hollis

Hunter Hollis Banned

I woke up this morning to a shower that would not come on and a bathroom sink that wouldn't run...FROZEN PIPES!! My crawl space doors were not the greatest so I went and bought four bails of stray to cover them. I also cut a hole in my floor behind my clothes dryer and ran the exhaust pipe into my craw space. Everything finally thawed and working now. I m letting all my faucets and shower drip tonight, hopefully it wont happen again.

Do any of you have any tips for keeping your crawl space warm, or tips on how to prevent pipes from freezing?

2. Make sure your crawl space vents are covered as well. Keep the wind out and add some heat tape. We lived in a modular once. The water never froze, but the trap in the tub drain would freeze at the drop of a hat.

Stay warm

3. I also lived in a modular once and it seen-ed the pipes were all ways frozen in this kind of weather so we spray the insides of the cross-base with insulation and that is how we stop pipes from freezing. Good luck to all with this type of weather.

4. I use the black foam insulation. It has a slit so it slides right over the pipe. It is very pliable, and easy to work with. Cuts with a roofing knife. Mine haven't froze for 3 years now.

5. You can also buy electric heat wrap for your pipes.
    Wrap that around them, and then insulate over that, and you should have no more problems.
    . . as long as you remember to turn it on when the temp drops. . .lol

6. pipes

Hollis, this only the beginning. When our temps finaly rise just a bit that is when the expansion will begin. Believe it or not, its the hot water side that will give most folks problems. Most think its the cold water side. Keep both sides at little more than a trickle at all faucets. Keep cabinet doors open and for problem areas if you can get a electric space heater around the trap that works well.