close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Frying Fish

Discussion in 'Indiana Fishing Reports' started by 410, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Just fryed up some bluegill and was wondering if some of you boys could tell us how you fry up your fish. I mixed so flour, salt, pepper in a ziplock and shake up some fish then put it in a hot skillet with Olive Oil and when done put on a little Sweet Baby Ray's Sauce and then go watch NASCAR.:fish:

2. I use pancake batter instead of flour. It gives a sweeter taste. Some salt, peper, and onion powder mixed in, deep fry at 320 degrees...no BBQ sauce necessary!

3. I use Drakes Mix to flour them with then panfry in cooking oil- I love that Drakes mix.

4. Just last night I fried up a mess of catfish fillets I had in the freezer. The last time fish was fried in my house my wife cooked, kids turned up the nose and had pbj's.
    Patting myself on the back here becouse last night the girls loved the fish, raved even!
    I mix the dry items in a bowl, 1 part flour, 1 part corn meal, add a ton of black pepper, good amount of salt, garlic and onion powder, dried hot pepper flakes, some poultry seasoning. In another bowl i've whipped two eggs with 1/2 can of Bud (you knew there'd be beer in this). Dip the fish in the hootch and eggs, dredge through the breading, and fry them up. I fry only 2-3 fillets at a time to keep the oil very hot.
    You know it's good when the girls gripe about the smell when cooking, then ask for more at the supper table!:fish2:

5. We also use Drakes, but Andy's breading rates a close second..

6. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Drake's here.....it's dumb proof.

7. I make my own!!!

I make my own...but you guys already knew that part, didn't you???

8. I always have one of my friends fry up the fish. His approach is similar to QuailDancer's, except that he fries them in a mixture of olive oil, peanut oil, and bacon grease. Spices used include: salt, sugar, brown sugar, garlic powder, granulated onion, thyme, cumin, paprika, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg. Yum!

9. Hey thanks James & goggleye I fryed more fish last night with the pancake batter and then some in Drakes Mix and liked both. I will try some of the other mixes next time. Thanks gang.

10. The old man uses a 50/50 mix of cornmeal and flour, plenty of ground black pepper, a little bit of garlic powder, salt, and maybe a pinch of onion powder. He is the best fisherman I know and eats more fish than anyone I ever come across. Be aware though, he can chew on an old inner tube and make you think he was enjoying a T-Bone medium rare, just ask 410.

11. Hey Scott you are right he is the best gill catching fly fisherman I know. Yes he (we) can eat a lot of fish, after cleaning and cooking fish we have been able to go to another fish fry the same day at Larwill Fire Department. Hey I will not tell him that you put his favoite mix on the site so everyone would see. Yes he can cook up a little different things every now and then. If you see him at the Expo this Saturday ask him about the baked BBQ fish he made up for us one day.HA!

12. I tried Andys breading on a couple salmon fillets i fried up and man was it good. I ended up going back and buying the big bag of the stuff. Before that i used frying magic.

13. I'm guessing Weimer's secret mix is something he dreamed about one night and now can't remember what it was. I say he dreamed about it because that's where he catches fish, in his dreams!

14. I have to agree with Steel, Andy's in the orange bag is the best I've come across. Adds a little spice!

15. You can't even catch a fish!!!!!!!

And I was just thinking of asking you to go to my Uncle's cabin in Minnesota for a Walley trip. You really blew it this time mister!!!! Have you ever had fresh walleye out of a crystal clear Canadian Shield lake, Junior????? Well, you won't anytime soon either.

Heck, I was catching fish while you were still....oh, yeah I forgot, we're the same age. When is your birthday Princess?????

Andy's is good, but DEAN's is better y'all!!!!!!