close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Giant cane

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by Canoeman, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Does anyone know of a place I can harvest some cane for arrow shafts? I know it grows along the Southern part of the state but without just driving around blindly looking for it isn't very productive and then trying to find the land owner to ask permission might take a while. HELP!
    Thank You
    Jim :bowdown:

2. Does anyone know what I mean by Giant cane? It is the same as river cane.

3. I cane't help you, but maybe trdtnlbwhntr cane.

4. Oh, that's good!

5. You know, I can get cute answers from non hunting sites, I never expected them from here.

6. Sorry, some of our attempts at humor are a bit warped.
    Here is a link to purchase supplies for arrows, I'm sure with a bit of web searching you can find far more, and there are guys on here that do the same.
    http://oldsoutharrows.com/arrowmakingsupplies.htm
    Hope that helps, relax, enjoy your visits here, we just try to have some fun.

7. I've heard of Big Daddy Cane.....

8. I dont know where you find that at? What does it look like. I will try to keep an eye out for it. Thats about the best I can do for you there. Sorry.

9. Are these also called reeds? We have something that looks very similar to this that grows along many creeks around here. However, I don't think I've ever seen any type of leafing on them.

10. Cane

I have the river cane on my place and is available. I am in Switzerland county. Email me at this screen name @aol.com

11. Treehugger,
    The cane is very stiff and looks like bamboo ( actually is bamboo) the reeds I know of are more like cattail leaves.... is this what you mean? The cane makes great arrow shafts, it becomes a pale yellow and very hard when dry.

12. Sounds like jb's got you covered canoeman...I knew if you hung in there the guys on this sight would come through...you just have to wade through my lame jokes!!
    Glad you got some helpful information.

13. What I am referring to does look like bamboo, very small diameter and is rigid. When I have seen it, even during deer season, it is green. It is usually about 3 foot in height.

14. Leprechauns!