close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ginseng huntin rules

Discussion in 'Questions about Indiana Hunting/Fishing Laws' started by horacehockey, Aug 24, 2006.

1. I am a bit confused on the rules regarding plant size when harvesting ginseng. For the first time since purchasing my land 13 years ago, I am considering harvesting some ginseng I am finding on the property. The rules printed in the hunting book which comes out annually states that the plant must have 3 prongs and fruits or 4 internodes on the rhizome. I understand the rhizome bit, but not sure on the the prongs. I have seen where the leaves are known as prongs. Does the 3 prong statement refer to 3 sets of leaves (15 total) or just 3 leaves? Almost all the ginseng I see only has 2 sets (10 leaves). According to laying down and looking at the rhizomes, I find these to be about 5 to 10 years old, yet only 2 sets of leaves.

2. horacehockey, I hunt ginseng in West Virgina and if I am right 3 prong meaning there is three stems and there are few and far between. I don't think it is that away in WV I will have to check that out. Down home once in a while you can find a 4 prong. Trouble is there is no work in WV so everyone hunts ginseng and it is disappearing.

3. prongs are the branches ..... as far as that being the law i understand where the state is comin from as far as makin laws ... but ... i have (accidently) dug 2 prongs (which i quickly re-planted) while diggin 3-4 prongs only to see that the roots were much older than the 3-4 ..... 2 yrs ago i dug quite a few roots that were 50+ yrs old .... one that i counted up to 80 internodes then got bored and quit ... not sure how old that root was ... now i kinda wished i woulda kept countin .... also heard that a new export law is in effect .... hope its true !!! cant stand it when people dig all they can and not leave any for future harvests/generations !! good luck to yal ...oh yeah ... by the way i hear "sang" will go for $275-$325 dry pound this year (current price)