close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Going out West

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by tmiller, Jan 9, 2007.

1. My father and I take a trip out west to Big Game Hunt every year and we are going to Colorado this year to hunt Elk and Mule Deer. We never get a guide and always hunt public land and have been fairly successful in the past.

I need a new setup wanted to get some opinions on Rifle and Scope selections. I dont have a ton of cash and would like to spend only what I have to. I would like to be comfortable taking one of these animals down at 250yds. I would like a synthetic stock because we hunt some pretty rugged terrain and I used to shoot a Howa 338 before it was stolen this year from my garage. Havnt really shot any other rifles since they arent legal here in Indiana. I dont know where to even begin. Thanks in advance!

2. I have done research into rifles for that reason, hoping to go out west someday, so I will tell you what I have dug up and you can take it with as large a grain of salt as you wish.

The first is the .308 vs 30-.06 battle...

These are the cartridges I narrowed my search too, and so far as I can tell, it is a toss up...some people say the .308 stays flatter over distance...i didn't find any conclusive evidence of this, as for every study for the .308 was matched by a study for the 30.ought...

Rifle brands on the cheap...

For the money I could not find a better gun than the Tikka T3.(the T3 lite is also available, and was my preferred model) Rave reviews from everywhere, under 600 and 1 inch groups at 100 yards garunteed from factory...its a Sako...but cheaper...

Savage is roughly the same price range, good reviews

Those are the two calibers and makes it came down to for me...if nothing else, perhaps it gives you something to look into. And if thats not what you wanted...my bad...

3. Dont have any info. for you on what you need, but good luck and have fun on your trip.

4. Options

For a well priced packages available if that is the route you want to go. I would not go with Remington 710. Nothing against Remington but this is a 1 yr. pacakge and you won't be happy the second year. I like the Weatherby Vanguard series. If you go synthetic and blued it is a well priced rifle around 500 and the package is around 700 with a Burris. you can check out the website and even order from WalMart. The Tikka's are also nice but a bit more pricey.
    I would go with the 7MM package if you do not have to worry about bears. Not sure for Colorado; but I don't think there are too many. I use a .338 for Moose in AK; but I would carry my 7MM more often if i did not worry about grizzlies.
    Good luck and let me know what you get.

5. i got a CZ bolt action .22 for christmas and I know its only a .22 but this thing is a serious shooter. Extremely happy with the gun itself.

6. Might want to check out the H&R handi rifle. Check gunbroker you can pick up a .270 in stainless for $290. I haven't ever shot one but their shotguns shot great and you just about can't beat the old 270. Where do you guys hunt out their been looking into it and thinking about giving it a try but would like to hear some info from someone that has been out there.

7. .270 might be just a touch light for elk...

8. I Own A Winchester 300 Mag And Have Shot Mule Deer , Antelope, And Elk In Wyoming And Idaho Did A Great Job On All Of Them , All I Can Say Is Put The Best Scope You Can Afford On It , And Shoot Alot At The Range , 250 Yd. Shots Are No Problem ,

9. Thanks for all the great info guys. Keep it coming. I think from everything I've read, I want to go with at least a 300 win mag. I might just get the 338 again. Does anyone know what the price is on a 300 win mag and where I can pick one up?

10. We ususally hunt public land in the North West part of the state. There is so much public land out there that you can do an entire weeks trip without a guide for around 1500 per person if you have the right gear. That includes tags! But you have to get to secluded places. There are so many freaking people in Colorado because it is easy to get to. I definately prefer Montana, but its a 30 hr drive! We hunt around the Bozeman area in Montana... but Denver is only 15 or so hours. If you do your research, you can plan an awesome trip out there for very little. And there are great public hunting areas. Hell, half the guides out there are taking you into public land. They just know where the elk are.

11. I have a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag, black synthetic stock, and Bushnell scope. I'll make you a deal on it if you are interested. I have no use for the gun. The only hunting trip it has ever been on was as a back up gun to a friend last fall on an elk trip.

The gun is in good condition and is very accurate. I'll even include 1/2 a box of shells for it.

PM me if you are interested and we can talk price.

12. What do you guys think about a 7mm. Is it enough gun? I want to make sure I get good penetration.

13. 7mm

I have several experiences with the 7MM. The first were Elk huning in SD. I never had the priveledge but went on 2 sucessful elk hunts all with the 7MM. The first was a Cow shot at 75 yards; quarting to us. Went through the shoulder and dropped her. The second was a medium sized 5X6 that was shot at just under 300 yards. The bull traveled about 50 yards.

I also watched my buddy shoot several mule deer in the Flats at 300 yards.

I have personally taken a black bear with my 7mm. I shot him quarterin away. Through the heart and busted a shoulder. I also had a buddy shoot a 700 pound cow moose with my 7mm. She was done. A good quality bullet and you are set.

Let me know if you have any questions.