close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gone in the wind

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by QuailDancer, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Anyone else having frustrations in the stand with these winds we've been having? I've seen very little deer movement the last few times out. I'll give it a try again Fri. and Sat morning before having to come back into work. I'm thinking I should be aggressive and attempt to stalk and look for bedding deer rather than wait for long in the stand.

2. I have always been a believer that if the deer won't come to you, you need to go to them. But if you do go to them and bust them out of their bedding area, you need to give the time to relax and move back in. My frustration came with the put-n-take at Winamac FWA. They conduct this hunt during the last week of firearm season. I am an archer so it makes it all that much tougher as deer get busted out and fly by at top speed. Being new to the area (and state) I did not realize this. I saw that 300 pound 10 point the first 2 days of put-n-take, but haven't seen a deer since. Oh well. Life is still good when in the woods.

MIDH

3. I gave up with the wind and to many hunters walking around.:banghead3

4. the wind was driving me crazy,too, but last wed. eve. i got lucky. It wasn't as strong that day (16th), and after only 15 minutes in the stand, I shot a nice 10 pointer with a 22+ inch spread, at about 40 yds.

5. Winds were calm this morning, nice since it was 14 degrees out. I did get down and trail some tracks to where I think my buck is hiding, but didn't want to push to hard. Tomorrow it's do or die time, be my last chance for shotgun season this year.

6. I cant stand hunting in the wind. I will hunt in the cold/rain/snow but if the winds climbs to 20 mph or more i stay home. I have never had any luck on windy days. It seems this gun season we have had excessive winds every other day. I have counted 4 days in the past 2 weeks where we have had wind advisories issued where the gusts went over 40 mph. Not only is that bad for deer movement, but it becomes a safety issue in the woods. I was able to take a 150 pound 8 pointer on the 17th. One of the very few non windy days. Now i need to fill my bonus tag.