close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good attractants and minerals

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by HOYT hunter, Jul 18, 2006.

1. What do all of you guys have to say about all of the products out there that are supposed to attract deer but also provide a good nutritious food plot to help them grow? Most that I have looked at all have the same general make up. I was wondering what has worked for you all.

2. I let the good Lord provide for them. He's been doing it for thousands of years. With all the crops where I hunt I do not put out anything for them. I say BAN IT ALL...the next thing you know we'll be hanging our stands over Moultrie timed feeders like the yaahoo's down in Texas.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006

3. I ASSUME THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT CROPS THAT ARE GROWN AND NOT MINERAL SUPPLEMENTS, AS THEY ARE ILLEGAL TO HUNT OVER. I PLANTED TECOMATE MONSTER MIX, CLOVER AND CHICORY FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR. IT LOOKS GOOD, WE`LL HAVE TO WAIT A FEW MORE MONTHS TO SEE IF IT WORKS.

4. I love the Tecomate Monster Mix, and Imperial Whitetail Clover and Chicory Plus. I've tried some other brands, but these two will be all I mess with in the future. The Monster Mix helped put some serious weight on deer on one of the farms I hunt last season. I like Clover/Chicory based plots for the nutrition they provide deer in the antler growing/milk producing months as opposed to stricktly just hunting over. I like Minerals for the same reasons...Nutrition...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
  5. Randy, I felt the same way that you do until I went down to S. Texas last year and saw firsthand how thick it is in the mesquite and cactus brush. I don't like the idea of hunting over feeders, but it's a whole different world down there.

6. HOYT I don't own a lot of land so I put out Kelp Meal, and minerals to help the deer. Trophy rock is a great mineral block to put out for deer. The mission of the trophy rock is to create , bigger Antlers and Healthier Deer. The Trophy Rock has 50 trace mineral including Calcium and Phosphorus. It's called Mother Nature's own blend of trace minerals nothing added.

7. I just let the farmers fatten them up. The only thing I put out is a few mineral blocks (the kind you buy at Tractor Supply). I put them out this time of the year and set up my trail camera. I do it more for the pictures than for the nutrients the deer get from them. I had 116 pictures in two weeks a couple weeks ago over one mineral block. A lot of different bucks.:coolgleam

8. Where matters more than what you plant, if a deer has a bean field or corn field available it will be difficult at best to get him to choose a food plot over a farm field. Maybe we should ban hunting over farm fields just to give the deer a real fighting chance!

9. Dr. Woods pointed out that around here that fall plantings were more benificial. I just planted several types of brassacas, turnip greens, kale, and mustard greens...will let you know how it goes...

10. Yes, Indiana hunter, you're correct about what Dr. Woods said. But, what Grant didn't touch on is the importance of having foodplots established in the months that corn and beans aren't available (espicially late March-early May). But, yes, fall plots are often overlooked choices. Fall plots of oats, rye, brassica, clover, chicory, etc. etc. address a nutritional need at a time when plant other plant life is dying off. Corn, while everywhere, isn't really that great of a whitetail food. It helps them get through winter (and makes them taste darn good) offers very little in overall nutrition.

11. Deer Demon, You might be surprised. I've watched deer walk through bean and corn fields to get to a plot of clover before. Deer will instinctively go for the best available food in an area. While soybeans have a good protein content, foodplots offer an even better selection. And, don't forget that deer, like humans, need a variety of food choices. Deer don't just eat corn, soybeans, and hay (when plots are absent). They have other choices in the woods themselves. Plots are a nice alternative.

12. Like I always say foodplots shown be just like mineral blocks you should have to remove cut or plow them under and not be able to hunter over them. THAT IS BAITING

13. I bought Imperial Whitetail 30-06 and studied the bag. Then I went to a local farm elevator and bought ruminent mineral supplement. It was 1/3 the cost and matched the 30-06 ingrediants to a T.

I think clover is nice because it is available in January-March when nothing else with protein is (corn is a carb).

Randy, you have a good point because I'll tell you what, I can't get a deer to even think about eating turnips, brassicas, or sorghums on my place. I think they just have other things available in my area that they like better. I know I have a five hay fields within 1 mile of me, but not where I can hunt. I'm trying some oats this fall just to see if they get hammered. A guy at work has good luck with them, but he also sees them eating his turnips.

Are food plots baiting? No different to me then hunting over a farm field, apple tree orchard, or oak tree full of acorns. If you want to get that technical about things what about funnels and holes in made made fences?

14. Scott,
    I did the same comparison w/ Hunter Specialties Vita-Rack......I compared it to mineral supplement that my local Big R sells. The mineral percentages and content were the same. Cost for a 50 lb bag was $6 ($0.12/lb) compared to Vita-Rack at $8 for a 10lb ($0.80/lb) bag!

15. Back before I took this whole food plot thing very serious, I remember some guys I know buying Imperial Whitetail Clover when it first came out. They planted it then sent a sample of the plant to Purdue for identification. Purdue told them it was ladino clover. You can buy that at an elevator too.

You IU guys....they sent a sample there too. Still waiting on a reply from IU, rumor has it some of the liberal arts majors smoked it.