close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got an answer?

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by dleslie217, Mar 31, 2007.

1. I know what a Buckeye, a Gator, and a Bruin are. What I don't know is, what the heck are Hoyas??

2. "The school's sports teams are called "the Hoyas". Many years ago, students well-versed in the classical languages invented the mixed Greek and Latin chant of "hoya saxa", translating roughly as "what (or such) rocks!" Eight years after the founding of The Hoya student newspaper, a campus sports writer began to refer to teams as the "Hoyas" rather than as the "Hilltoppers". The name was picked up in the local dailies, and Hilltoppers soon fell out of view. The mascot of Georgetown athletics programs is Jack the Bulldog"

From the Georgetown University website.

God I need a life.

3. since were talking college nicknames, did you know the u of cincinnati was the Maroons way before the bearcats?

4. Whatever they are...........they are gone from the tourney.

5. How did Hoosier come about? Early settlers living in the woods.....
    Solo

6. The root etymology of “Hoosier” is uncertain although it is believed to have Anglo-Saxon roots. Several early researchers cite Dickenson (1899): “hoozer—said of anything unusually large.” Jacob Piatt Dunn, Jr., Indiana historian and secretary of the Indiana Historical Society (1907) favored this explanation in his early scholarly work on the subject. Further, he speculated that “hoozer” derived from the Anglo-Saxon word "hoo" meaning high or hill. He pointed out that immigrants from Cumberland, England settled in the Southern Appalachians and then migrated to the southern hills of Indiana, possibly bringing the term with them.
    Dictionaries tend to accept the "hoozer" origin or take no definitive position about root etymology.

Here's a little more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosier

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  7. Left over from bar fights.

Who's ear?