close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gps unit advice

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by buckhead, Aug 1, 2006.

1. hey i need help i'm looking to purchase my first hand held gps unit any advice would be helpful i would like to keep the cost at or below 300

2. I Have Had A Garmin Gps 12 For Several Yaers Now Used It In Wyoming And Idaho Very Simple To Operate,dint Believe It A Few Times In The Mountains In Idaho But It Always Got Me Back Were I Started

3. Hey buckhead talk to James Lyon I think he has a Hunt C GPS and I was with him and seen it and man does it work great and around $300 to $400.

4. Hey there, buckhead. I originally purchased a Lowrance iFinder Go2 (the little red one for $100). It's got a good basemap, and I thought it was the shiznit. However, it froze up on me regularly, so I sent it in, and before I got it back, I bought a Lowrance iFinder H2O C. I think I paid around $400 for the plus package which includes a 12 volt adapter, MapCreate 6 (mapping software from Lowrance), and an SD/MMC card reader. I originally thought I wouldn't use the software, but it is awesome. It doesn't show depth contours of lakes, but it'll show you everything else. I went back and used my old Go2 the other day, and holy underwear, that thing is so slow! It takes forever to acquire a fix, and even longer to zoom around the map. I would definitely recommend spending the extra cash if you have it on a higher-end unit. The iFinder Hunt, or the iFinder Expedition are also very nice units with more features than the H20. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

JL

P.S. Checked on prices for H20 and H20C. The "C" is the color version. They are on sale right now in Cabela's. Here's the link.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0028183017032a&navCount=2&podId=0028183&parentId=cat602018&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat21276&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat602018&hasJS=true

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
  5. thanks guys i will take a look at your suggestions