close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gray Fox population

Discussion in 'Indiana Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by Johnny Stewart, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Is anyone seeing any grays? They are basically extinct here in west central Indiana. We've tried calling many spots, as well as trap, where we have been successful in the past, like back in the 80's early 90's, and now nothing. I think the DNR needs to do some research and consider changing the season/bag limit on gray fox.

2. I ain't seen a grey in 10 years. Just finally got another red on trail cam. It's been 4 years or so since I've seen one around were I live

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. Coyotes will hunt and kill reds and grays. If you're seeing coyotes you won't be seeing very many fox

4. [​IMG]

We have multiple pictures of this guy or girl on camera.

fullblownhunter likes this.
  5. That's awesome! Is there a lot of coyotes in that same area? I've also heard Parvo, which is a heart disease, has killed off a lot of the grays.

6. We have quite a few reds in my area, I know of atleast 3 different litters on my road alone that I saw this spring. Two of the litters are staying in old barns.

7. YES!!! We have coyotes on camera too and hear them all the time.:mad::mad::mad:

8. I've see a few greys in Porter County, but most of the time I see reds.

9. I've never seen a red fox in Indiana, but many greys. The last two I remember seeing was a grey in Cicero on 19 a few years back, and saw a grey in 2012 deer season in Greene-Sullivan.

10. Parvo destroys the linings of the intestinal tract nothing to do with the heart

11. There is an intestinal and cardiac form of Parvo.

20' up a tree waiting for some blood to be spilled.

12. I've seen both red an gray hunting in porter co...along with reddish blonde foxes with blackish back patches...wonder if they are mixing...when I say blonde I mean blonde like a sexy beach blonde...very odd..with black back backs and red tail an feet...kinda cool. Interracial fox loving going on.:eek:

Joe's cell phone

13. I trap greys every year. Reds to. Their populations are not what they used to be since the yotes have prospered so well but they are still around. Fox have very small home ranges. I used to trap in kentuckey and tennesse alot and the havbitat down there is alot better for fox. To many farmers are destroying their habbitat. Less habbitat and more yotes is why are populations are down!

14. there are more fox than you think, just cuz ya don`t see them doesn't mean there not around. for instance I trap at least 8-10 a yr and most are in areas that are urban outskirts (close to houses and farms) seems the yotes are pushing them closer to people and areas were yotes aren't seen to often. I have been seeing alot more of them on my farm since I have been trapping and calling yotes to thin them out..