close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Grooming Tips

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by QuailDancer, Aug 21, 2005.

1. I used to hunt years ago with a GSP. I've just come back to bird hunting and now own a Boykin Spaniel. The dog, despite my training efforts is doing quite well. My question is on Grooming.
    Does anyone have good tips to keep burs out of the coat, especially around the ears, a short afternoon in the field, and my wife and I are picking burs out of his coat the rest of the night. Is clipping the coat short the only real option?

2. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I have a Brittany...while probably not as long a coat as your dog, it still collects burrs...During the season, I trim around her ears, crotch, and the feathers on her legs. This helps, but that's one drawback to having a dog with longer hair.. I also bought a beard trimmer (one with batteries) that I use on stubborn burrs. Boy, she really likes that!
    Just think about it as part of the hunting experience;)

3. The beard trimmer is a good idea, thanks. Lucky for me the the pup seemed to enjoy laying and having us pick over his coat. I certainly will trim the feathering along his legs next time out.
    I've heard that rubbing some vasoline under the armpits before going out helps keep some from sticking so bad. Has anyone done this?

4. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I've heard that rubbing some vasoline under the armpits before going out helps keep some from sticking so bad. Has anyone done this?[/QUOTE]
    I tried that once with Megs....was more of a mess than it's worth....the vasoline picks up everything...I suggest not doing it.