close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

groundhog day

Discussion in 'Indiana Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by ice dude, Jul 19, 2006.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are a few for the grill. first one was in the pasture at about 125yrds, the other was in my yard at close to 40yrds, .223 55gr federal hp

2. Grill??? :yikes: What do you do special to them to grill 'em? Don't know if I'm man enough. And yes, 410, we know you've eaten Rocky Mtn. oysters before...

3. :lol:

Sorry,, I know I am not man enough..........

4. Technically a groundhog isn't any different than a Rabbit. However, I've never grilled rabbit before. I like it browned and baked.

The Gophers, The Gophers, Kill all the Golfers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry sir, but wouldn't they lock me up and throw away the keys???

How are those Rockey Mountain Ersters, by the way Tucker????

5. young of the year Ground hogs make real good BAR B QUE, had it at a pot luck wild game dinner at Fall Creek Con.club a few years ago,,,DAMN GOOD!!!

6. Ice Dude that looks like some good eatin. Plus looks like a couple of good shots. Thanks james when we get a few together we will fry them up for the gang.

7. Tuck, if you pop one, we'll get the wives together, open some wine, grill the bad boy.
    What wine goes with gopher?

8. i would go with a nice red.

9. Ground Hogs and Wine???!!!! This makes us all sort of upscale rednecks doesn't it?

10. Dean and Mark both got it right. They eat the same grasses, tender barks, and twigs that a rabbit would eat. You deffinetly want the youngins, any thing over a yr old and more than 5 lbs will be tough as leather.

Best bet for grilling is to brine them in 1 1/4 cups of salt per gallon of water, over night. Make a rub out of seasoning salt, black pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprica, a little fine parsley. rub em down and let them set for an hr. grill over a low flame or nice set of coals.
    Another good way to enjoy chucks is to make a classic pot roast just sub. in the ground hog for the beef.
    any recipe for rabbit or tree rat will work fine.

Enjoy

11. OK, I may just have to go look for some gophers now.

12. Sure does Dean. there are some wines out there made to be enjoyed with wild game.

13. Good eatin'.......

Rabbits, groundhogs, and tree rats....OH MY!!!!!!

14. ??

What about muskrats? I see them all the time while bowfishing for carp.