close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun advice

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Sjgriz18, Jul 23, 2007.

1. I am looking for a slug gun for my wife. I have talked her into going and sitting in my blind with me on opening day. I hope this was a good idea.:banghead3
    I am thinking that it has to be a small in size, since she is only 4" 11" tall and barley 125 #. Does anybody have some good recomendations? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Remington 20ga youth model, should fit her just fine. Get the combo and she can use it on other game as well.

3. I was gonna say the same thing...... Nice gun for a good price.

4. I guess, with the PCR thing getting passed, if you want to spend that kind of money it would be a good option.

I would lean towards the 20 gauge combo though also, economic, multi-purpose, can't beat it..

5. Another 20g vote here. I'd also add what ever you get, buy a Sims recoil pad to add to the butt of the stock for her, makes such a difference for kids and smaller women making sure they are comfortable while shooting. If you see to their needs, they will want to shoot more often. As has been said the shotgun offers wider use options on different game.

A 2nd choice is a nice M/L, I've found and my daughter agrees, the kick is far less. Can't beat the knockdown power if deer is your only target animal.

6. Thought the same thing, but he said slug gun...

7. 20 ga. would be good. Don't get an inexpensive single shot. Nothing against them, but they are light and kick hard. Get a youth auto loader or pump.

Muzzleloaders are great, as you can tailor the load to what she can handle.

PCR's are another good option. I bought a .357 just to have and it is the lightest recoil gun that I own in anything over a .22 rifle. Barely any recoil at all.

8. Thanks for all the advise. I didn't even think of a muzzeloader, but that is a really good idea. I am not to keen on the idea of a PCR. I am not for them myself, but the lesser recoil is true. Thanks everbody who has helped out.

9. I saw a used Remington 20 ga. youth for sale the other day at the Outdoorsman in Greenwood (for my boy). The cheapest pcr was the Marlin 44 mag and it was $520, I'd take the used Remington 20 ga. over the pcr if I were buying!

10. I WOULD SAY A 20 GA 870 WOULD DO HER WELL, FAIRLY CHEAP BUT DEPENDABLE.

11. i would suggest a11-87 or 1100 remington the semi's seem to have less recoil of course in a 20ga remington makes a nice deer gun in those models

12. You can get a H&R .44 magnum for around 250 bucks, only drawback is that it is a single shot

13. you have a good reason to get a muzzy that way both get use out of it and you can extend your season