Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday I tried to buy a new 20 ga. pump shotgun at Wally World. Last new gun I bought was over 20 years ago.
To my surprise I had to fill out a form on the computer, then the guy behind the counter had to "call it in". He told me I was delayed? :yikes:
He said it was not unusual and normally only took a few days. :confused:

I have never been in any trouble, only traffic violation I ever had was seat belt.

How usual is this?

How long should I expect?

Glad I wasn't planning a big hunting trip! :dizzy:

·
Registered
334 Posts
They call in every new gun purchase(except for muzzies) and have for years. Usually it only takes about three minutes and you're good to go. I have never been delayed or been around anyone who has so i have no idea how long that will take or why it would have flagged you.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Your name and identity( not necessarily you personally) is apparently on some list in a not so flattering way. You might want to run a credit report on yourself to see if there is some unauthorized activity.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well I have seen this a couple of times. Sometimes you might get delayed because of a credit check but most of the times your name could be common. Like jeff smith, or matt johnson. Those names are common. Also your name could be somehow linked to a bad person and they might have to look and make sure it is not you. It is really hard to say for sure how the delays work.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I have completed many gun sales. The NICS system for gun sales has reduced the transfer of guns to illegal folks significantly but hampers others a bit. Usually if you have not heard back from NICS in 3 days they go ahead and issue the firearm to you. I did 5 transfers at the last banquet we had and 2 of them were delayed. I called back later that evening and they were approved. It's usually that easy.

Jack

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know someone who ran into the same issue before we went to North Dakota last year. He was clear in like 3 days and we were off. I wouldn't be that concerned about not getting your gun....I would run a credit check like BRich suggested though, something is fishy

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
I get delayed every time I try to buy a gun. Usually I go back 2 days later, they have either heard back from the feds or since they have not heard back they go ahead and give me the gun because 48hrs have passed.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get delayed every time I try to buy a gun. Usually I go back 2 days later, they have either heard back from the feds or since they have not heard back they go ahead and give me the gun because 48hrs have passed.
Is this the law in Indiana?

Wally world told me they can't sell the gun to me until they hear back from them? It will be a week tomorrow.

Credit check, I own everything I have outright, don't even have a credit card. Never had one.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Is this the law in Indiana?

Wally world told me they can't sell the gun to me until they hear back from them? It will be a week tomorrow.

Credit check, I own everything I have outright, don't even have a credit card. Never had one.
It's the law everywhere I believe .

Truthfully , I'd be looking to buy the gun somewhere else unless you can think of a good reason that you're being denied . Any other dealer should be able to run a check for you for a small fee .

It's probably just confusion over someone with a similar name unless you have a police record .

The only other thing I can think of .....
..... if they thought you were making a "straw purchase" ; I'm not sure how those are handled .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's the law everywhere I believe .

Truthfully , I'd be looking to buy the gun somewhere else unless you can think of a good reason that you're being denied . Any other dealer should be able to run a check for you for a small fee .

It's probably just confusion over someone with a similar name unless you have a police record .

The only other thing I can think of .....
..... if they thought you were making a "straw purchase" ; I'm not sure how those are handled .
I have been thinking along the same lines. There is a different person at the counter every time you go to Wally World, I can't see any of them being very responsible. And I can't see how they would even get the call should it come.

I need another gun like I need a hole in the head, I have a cabinet full now. I just thought they had a good price on this model. I am sure I would have to pay much more elsewhere, and I am not sure I want it that bad...

No, I have no record of any kind. I use to have a carry permit, but I let it lapse several years ago. If there had been a problem they would have noted it back then.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have been thinking along the same lines. There is a different person at the counter every time you go to Wally World, I can't see any of them being very responsible. And I can't see how they would even get the call should it come.

I need another gun like I need a hole in the head, I have a cabinet full now. I just thought they had a good price on this model. I am sure I would have to pay much more elsewhere, and I am not sure I want it that bad...

No, I have no record of any kind. I use to have a carry permit, but I let it lapse several years ago. If there had been a problem they would have noted it back then.
I think you're right , too many cooks stirring the pot ; not enough communication between them .

Once your original request gets denied , you're talking to someone else when following up ; you'd think the department manager would follow up on this .

What I can tell you is that "Wal*mart" doesn't make the rules , they do need to be very cautious ; it's there neck on the line for fines and revocations .

A clerk may know the general rules , but not the law ; then doesn't have the power or authority to make decisions or know when an exception can be made .

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If the dealer hasn't heard back within the specified time (I think it's 3 business days) then they can go ahead and complete the transaction.

Dunno if the store has a policy that goes beyond that, if so then buy elsewhere.

I know of Class 3 (machine gun) owners who get put on delay almost every regular gun purchase. And they're on a registry to own that other stuff.

Don't like the chance of a repeat delay? Apply for your unique identification number.

Stops the nonsense.

I've never been delayed by then my name is not common.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I bet Walmart may have their own additional rules as long as they are posted (so long as those rules don't lessen any Federal or State rules).

Don't some of their stores limit the hrs of ammunition purchase?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The last "kid" I talked to at Wally world told me it could take 30 days. I would assume that is some type of store policy. Sounds to me like if they don't call back within three days they are not going to? They just assume the dealer has made the sale?

Thanks for the info. I am going to call a local gun shop and see what they tell me. It may take a couple to find the price I will pay...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The system is such that the Feds don't have to call back.

You're supposedly "good to go" if nothing is heard within 3 business days.

I know of a couple instances where some folks didn't know if they'd "pass" or not, did the check in, nothing was heard within 3 days, the sale was completed and the Feds called back a month or even a couple of months later!

The Feds screwed up (imagine that) and then the dealer had to call the people back and refund a partial on the purchase (no longer a new item at that point). The two i know of were apologetic (customers) as was the dealer and everything worked out, but that sure is an awkward position to be in. Both parties.

I suppose the customer could say they sold it, had it stolen or refuse to return the gun. Then it'd be a $$$$$ legal deal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just spoke with Wally World again, it has been over 30 days now. Still have heard nothing, kid said they won't sell the firearm unless they hear back. Said after 30 days you have to turn in another background check! He said it was only good for 30 days. I told the kid I would just go someplace else. Whats another $50.

Now I know to ask the right questions before I start.

I once went a year without walking into a Walmart, think I am going to try and break that record. :bash:

·
Registered
712 Posts
My concern is the whats another 50 dollars. You should NEVER have to pay for a store to call youinto the system. If you did, I would call Walmart and get my 50 back.

I have never been delayed. I have bought a lot of guns and never been more then 2 minutes on the phone. That being said, my dad a retired police officer(29.5 years) gets delayed everytime he tries to buy a gun. He once called himself and was told he could have a name similiar to someone that is not suppose to or someone with the same name. my brother has also been delayed several times.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My concern is the whats another 50 dollars. You should NEVER have to pay for a store to call youinto the system. If you did, I would call Walmart and get my 50 back.

I have never been delayed. I have bought a lot of guns and never been more then 2 minutes on the phone. That being said, my dad a retired police officer(29.5 years) gets delayed everytime he tries to buy a gun. He once called himself and was told he could have a name similiar to someone that is not suppose to or someone with the same name. my brother has also been delayed several times.
The $50 is the higher cost of the purchase somewhere else. The check was free.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts