close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun Recommendations for a rookie??

Discussion in 'Indiana Small Game Hunting' started by cjones46, Dec 14, 2006.

1. This is my first year hunting, I started out with whitetails but I'd like to venture into small game (rabbits and squirrels) as well. Any recommendations on a good gun, not a good starter necessarily, but a GOOD small game gun. I've heard the .22 vs .410 arguements each 100 times. What it really boils down to is finding a gun that I'm comfortable with that shoots well for me. If I can't find that it won't matter what kind of projectile I'm firing. Thanks guys!!!

2. it's hard to beat a remington rifle or shotgun for the money.

3. jones is currently using a borrowed H&R 20 Gauge...

sorry to step on your toes jones...

4. h&r 20ga is as good as you need 1 shot make it count

5. Actually marsh there is a H&R 20 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter II under my xmas tree right now...I know this because I went to buy one and my entire family erupted. Thanks for your help though. That gun may be a little much for a bunny. I dont know how big the rabbits are where you guys live but a 2 3/4 slug will be too much for the bunnies around here haha.

6. I've got a Rem 1187 20 guage for rabbits and love it. I just wish I could get em on the first shot.

7. I just bought a Stoeger 12ga. Model 2000 and love it. All it is is an American made Benelli M2, they have the exact same Inertia Driven Receiver. $450-$550.

8. 20 gauge 870 express - right barrel - great deer gun, long barrel anything else! Rugged and dependable :)

9. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about the 870 series in any gauge, ever. That seems to be the gun of choice around here. Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!!!

10. start off right

12 guage 3 inch gives you all options. down size loads for squirrles and bunnys. but you have option for heavy loads if geese and coyotes come into play. where are you located? bradis gun shop off 67 southwest side of indy has plenty of used guns at very reasonable prices.

11. I hunt rabbits with a Remington 870 or 1100, both 20 ga. and older models. I used to hunt squirrels with a Rem. 22 and my son has a H&R 20 w/ mod. barrel for both. They all do a good job. Its what you feel comfortable with. Bradis and Plainfield Shooting Supplies both have some nice used guns.

12. I love the Ruger .22 LR's (had to sell mine when I was trying to pay for college) and I know those are available brand new for under $200. My ego says I'm a good enough shot to use a rifle for rabbits and squirrels but my brain says I should probably get a shotgun haha. Now I'm thinking for the sake of economy I should just look into a different barrel for my shotgun (as soon as I open it christmas day and find out which one my wife bought me haha) I'm up in the northeast corner in Fort Wayne so if anybody from up here has any insider tips on good gun shops I'm all ears. Thanks again guys!!

13. FOR THE MONEY AND A MULTI PURPOSE GUN, YOU CANNOT BEAT THE 870 COMBO, I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YO GET THE 12 GAUGE. I WILL DO WELL FOR ANY INDIANA GAME. YO MIGHT CONSIDER PURCHASING A .22 RIMFIRE FOR SQUIRRELS, RABBITS AND GENERAL PLINKING. YOU CAN GET A REMINGTON OR A RUGER, BOTH GOOD .22`S, FOR A LITTLE OVER A HUNDRED BUCKS.

14. If you are looking for a pump I would also suggest an Ithica model 37-Featherlite. Mine is awesome for carrying on long days