close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun Safes

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Tine Lock, Oct 18, 2006.

1. We are going to get a my dad a gun safe for his birthday. Does anyone know what all I should know and make sure of before buying one? I want a nice one costing around $900-1100. Also can anyone direct me to the best place to look at some or buy one? I live in Whiltey county. THANKS!

2. I'm not sure on gun safes, but welcome to the site.

3. Thanks for the welcome Quail Dancer.

4. I just bought one at Gander Mountain. It was $900 and if you apply for a credit card you get 10% off. Then you can just rip the card up when you get it, and pay it off. They sell Liberty Safes, and they are well known. I got the Timber Ridge model with 23 cu ft of space that will hold 25 long guns. It's 620lbs and It is protected for 45 min at 1200 deg. I know sams club here in Indianapolis also sells them, but I don't know what brand they carry. Hope I could help.

5. Used to work at the Bass Pro Shops in Clarksville, IN and they have a great selection of safes in that price range. They are the RedHead safes. Browning makes those safes for RedHead so they are pretty good. They do have some cheesy lower end models in the 400-600 range but the safes in the price range you are looking at are quality. They to are rated anywhere from 30-45 minutes at 1200 degrees as well.

6. I BOUGHT MINE AT SAMS CLUB A FEW YEARS AGO, I THINK IT WAS AROUND $900-1000., IT SAYS "REMINGTON" ON IT. I HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH IT THUS FAR. AS OTHERS HAVE SAID, GANDER MOUNTIAN HAS A GOOD SELECTION. FOR WHAT YOU ARE WILLING TO SPEND, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET A GOOD QUALITY SAFE. BE PREPARED WHEN MOVING THEM, THEY ARE VERY HEAVY. HAVE ALOT OF FRIENDS AROUND, IT IS A 3-4 MAN JOB. YOU WILL ALSO MEED A REFRIGERATOR DOLLY, A HEAVY DUTY ONE.

7. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

I bought a liberty model at gander mountain, mine was a bit more than what you are wanting to spend but they have some (economy models) that are in your range called the timber ridge series. My point is they are very good quality safes just not the glossy paint or the suade interior. But they still look very nice. HEAVY!!!!!!

8. A nice trick that safe moving companies use once the safe is in the house is to put about 15-20 golf balls under it and have someone shuffling the balls from back to front as you move it. We did that when my friend bought one and it was so much easier than using a large dolly and moved it in no time. FYI

9. Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. This will help a lot in my purchase, but I'm still listening so if you have any more tips I'd appreciate them.

10. Bass Pro has one that they sell for $699, but you can catch it on sale for $599 at times. Mine houses 20 long guns and plenty of pistols. For a dehumidifier I use a 20 watt light.

11. Rowdy

Rowdy

Fort knox is a great brand, alot of times you can get a deal on one at places like Dick's and Gander Mountain if they have a ding or a scratch on them. A buddy of mine has a Browning Lightning...its a pretty sweet safe.