Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

Hello from central Indiana. First turkey season!

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bonecollector14 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and new to turkey hunting. I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I grew up in norther Indiana and now live in central Indiana I love the outdoor but have recently gotten into hunting.

My buddy took me out turkey hunting last weekend in brookville and we had no luck but I am hooked and determined to get one. We are going to mongo next week for a second and probably last try. I have looked at some satillite imagery and it looks like there are lots of promising spots. Would anybody be willing to share some intell with me to help me get my first bird? If you have been successful there where at exactly. I have heard the troxel lake area is promising but who knows.

Thanks for your help and I hope to be able to share some pics next week.

#2 ·
Brookville is a great spot, Truthfully every public land in Indiana holds birds. Nobody is going to be able to tell you where but I would check Salamonie Lake also Brookville Quakertown is a good area but me I get everywhere around Brookville they are everywhere in the spring. Morgan Monroe State Forrest HNF Forrest. They key is to get out early about 2 weeks before season, use your topo maps and find ridges close to fields. The thing to remember is turkey love to fly into a roost not fly up. Also remember that right as daylight is coming you need to chuckle on your call a bit some use crow or owls but I use just a hen cluck and boom you'll hear them. Once you hear them remember the spot and come back opening morning early early before another person and go after you a bird. The best advice is to do just that get out right at morning drive around or walk around trails along the lakes and just call and listen until you get on some. They are literally booming in Indiana now.

#3 ·
Thanks for the tips. We were mainly in mounds on a peninsula, it seemed like the ideal spot with everything you spoke about. We talked to a lot of other hunters that day who also didn't hear or see any. The weather was odd for this time of year so I guess that must have kept them quiet. Hopefully the north end of the state will be better luck for us. Thanks again.

#5 ·
My Buddy Jason hunts in that area you are speaking of Indymedic. I can tell you they are there. I can tell you where to start the reason I will tell you this is because this is how I found them at Brookville. I got a map, not ever actually having step foot on Brookville other than up in the Twin Forks Camp Ground that my childs grand parents on her mothers side stay in up there with a camper. I had wanted to hunt Brookville before I met her, so when I found out her parents had a camper there I said well that's awesome. Trips down the Fairfield cause way I would see them so a buddy and I said we are going to camp and we are going to find the birds. Picked a spot from topo maps, went in they were hammering. Didn't close the deal but started driving around on the roads seeing them setting up listening learning for 3 days we did this. No bird but learned lots of information. They are there but yea its the weather I know around my area even though tagged out you can hear them from the road and even DNR said not a peep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.