close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

here we go again

Discussion in 'Indiana Outdoor News' started by oldbuckkiller, Aug 16, 2006.

1. oldbuckkiller

oldbuckkiller Banned

Country music star Gentry charged with killing bear

Wed Aug 16, 6:56 PM ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Troy Lee Gentry, half of the country music duo Montgomery Gentry, has been charged with killing a tame bear and then making it look as if it was a hunting trophy, authorities said on Wednesday.

[​IMG]
    A top country act since the late 1990s with such hits as "Good Clean Fun," Gentry, 39, was arraigned in federal court this week on a charge of conspiracy to falsely label an animal.

The charge carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $20,000 fine.

According to an indictment unsealed this week, in October 2004 Gentry paid $4,650 to shoot the "trophy-caliber" bear named "Cubby" at the Minnesota Wildlife Connection in northern Minnesota, which advertises itself as a place where animals can be photographed in the wild.

After using a bow and arrow to kill the animal inside its pen, Gentry and the owner of the preserve tagged the bear and registered it with the state as if it had been killed in the wild. A videotape was edited to make it appear that Gentry had hunted down the bear.

Attempts to reach Gentry, who was freed on bond, were unsuccessful. soud like what we we had doesn't it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2006
  2. Looks like He should be "Gone" for a while... Maybe he and Jimmy can get their own show "Houston & Gentry's" World famous pet disposal service.:bash:

3. I JUST READ THE STORY ALSO. APPARENTLY TROY GENTRY IS ACCUSED OF SHOOTING A PINNED UP BLACK BEAR AND PASSING IT OFF AS WILD KILL IM MINNESOTA. SUGGEST A BOYCOTT OF THEIR MUSIC FOR A WHILE.

4. can't to my life figure out why he would do something like that. i mean seriously is that not sleazy or what.

5. as the owner of a pet bear you would have to be extremely hard up to allow a guy to shoot your pet... and then to do it while you knew his name was cubby... thats just wrong on so many levels.... Now if his name was "sox fan" or "sox" then yeah put him out of his misery, but cubby come on. I cant even imagine letting someone pay 4500 bucks to shoot my basset hound. I couldnt do it. That photographer must have been having some really hard times.

6. Hey give the man a chance. Maybe he is a bad shot and after paying all that money he did not want to take a chance and let it get away. Just kidding, money talks and most of those guys don't have time to go and hunt so they have to can or cage hunt. I think they should but them in the cage with the animal before it is dead. That seens fair to me. Plus the man who had the bear should be locked up to

7. a week or so ago they had him on one of those hunting shows and he was showing his game room to the viewers. i guess that's why i'm just flabbergasted and let down by this. hannidy and colmes even mentioned it last night. the way they talked that offense carries up to 5 yrs. inprisionment. pretty serious offense. i bet he doesn't get anything.

8. Troy Gentry

Man, all that stuff is hard to believe. He has seemed to try and represent hunters in a good light in song and video up to this point. If it is true, what a big mistake.

9. He hasn't denied it yet, Eric.

10. oldbuckkiller

oldbuckkiller Banned

their's more

Country star accused of illegally killing tame bear

People like this give us a bad name.

DULUTH, Minnesota (AP) -- Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry, has been accused of killing a tame black bear that federal officials say he tagged as killed in the wild.

Gentry, 39, of Franklin, Tennessee, and Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, of Sandstone, appeared Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Raymond Erickson in connection with a sealed indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Minneapolis.

Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly's property in October 2004.

The government alleges that Gentry and Greenly tagged the bear with a Minnesota hunting license and registered the animal with the state Department of Natural Resources as a wild kill.

Gentry allegedly paid about $4,650 for the bear, named Cubby. The bear's death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a "fair chase" hunting situation, the government alleges.

If convicted, both Gentry and Greenly face a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison and a $20,000 fine.

Gentry's manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter, expects to be exonerated.

Gentry "relied on the knowledge and expertise of a local guide to obtain the proper permit," Dorris said in a written statement. "Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment."

Greenly did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Montgomery Gentry, along with co-singer Eddie Montgomery, are known for hits such as "My Town" and "If You Ever Stop Loving Me."

11. Well heck yeah, that is completely legal in Tenessee! Now I understand... Right!

He'll be completely exonerated alright, but Montgomery Gentry will be playing at every county fair, and town festival in Minnesota for the next 5 years...:banghead3

Let your average garden variety sportsman try that and (rightly so) they'd throw the book at them...

12. i hate that for us hunters and i hate it for the country scene there are alot of performers that are on the up and up

I used to like the group