close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Here's a question

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by ccavacini, Jan 30, 2006.

1. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Let's just say my garage is somewhat heated...oh, around 50 degrees. If I keep my boats in there, would it be necessary to winterize them since the lower units couldn't freeze?

2. I've had a ProCraft for 6 years. I've never winterized it. I pull the batteries before I store it in a pole barn (unheated), and I put new plugs in every year. I've had no major problems.

3. If it stays above freezing you wouldn't need to worry about the lower unit cracking, but there is still the question of the gas denaturing(sp) it tends to seperate when it sets for a while. (Enter Sta-Bil)

James, that will work as long as you are sure you can drain ALL the water out of the lower unit thru the hub, and if you do not have a small leak in an exhaust port which allows water to get into the cast aluminum cavity of the lower unit.

Water vs aluminum below freezing = Water wins

4. If your not going to use your boat during the winter then winterize it !!, the minute you think you can get away with it, then this happens:banghead3

5. Boats and floats!!!!!!

I made my own boat!!!

6. Let me guess Dean..... It's a Donnie Baker Special....Swear to God man.

7. If I keep my boat inside around 50 degrees I would still fog the carbs so they would not build up any gas film inside. As far as the lower unit I change the oil in mine every year, it does not cost that much for the oil.

8. Noah's Ark was already taken!!!

Man, you've got like ESPN or something. How did you know what I named it.....

Freaky!!!!!!