close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hey, Jack

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by ccavacini, Nov 13, 2006.

1. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Contemplating our trip this Saturday to the Nickle Plate area for bird hunting...figure it should take about 3 hrs. (2 1/2 driving..1/2 for getting lost.) In your experience on these properties, how early should we get there...

Sunrise is about 7:30.

Cary

2. I have been sitting in the car trying to get my coat on while a rooster was crowing outside the passenger window at 8:45 AM. On the same trip I also saw the DNR guy sitting on the next hill watching thru a pair of binoculars so we didn't start early. Start time is usually 9:00 AM.

I would try to arrive early but make sure you don't go into the field before you're allowed or bad things could happen. That said I usually get there around 8:30 AM. With your dog and if the property is any good you'll be done by 1:00 PM or earlier.

Jack

3. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Thanks, looking forward to it.

4. Cary - be very quiet when you get there and don't let the dogs out until you're ready to go. We've bumped a lot of birds out of some of those fields just getting ready. Sneak in on 'em if you can.

Jack

5. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Check...we've even discussed putting the dogs on leashes and walking in from different directions, so the birds aren't all running out ahead. We've done this on previous spots and it seems to work better than all hunting together.

My dog is pretty good on pheasant, but if she's down wind and the bird is running, well I can't keep up...she'l pretty good when we hunt into the wind.

The property is 80 acres, so it's plenty big....hope I have some good pictures to post.

Cary