close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hoosier National Forest

Discussion in 'Mushroom Hunting' started by ChapstickCharlie, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Or is it State Forest? Anyhoo, is there anyone out here that has experience hunting that public land down by Patoka lake? And if so, could you mark Exactly on my map where you found all your morels? OK, how bout just have you been successful there.

2. From the parking lot...walk north about 200 yds., turn right at the big Sycamore tree and proceed for about 150 yds. up over the hill to the old run down cabin, walk just behind the old run down cabin and proceed left 75 yds. to "browns creek" (the smell will give you the answer as to why it is called that) and cross there, work your way up the limestone scattered hillside and veer right at the limestone cave, this will take you to "may apple acres" where you will walk around to the right past the elm trees, here you will find...oh wait, i was thinkin' of another woods I hunt, never mind. :dizzy:

3. Damn, I was walking those instructions while I read them, and now I'm standing in the middle of, oh no, Brown Creek!

4. I can offer directions on where to drop them off!

5. Keep in mind that there is an awful lot of private property interspesed with HNF property down here. It's a good idea to have a plat book with you when looking for areas to hunt.

Not that it matters........southern Indiana doesn't have any mushrooms...or deer for that matter. Much better idea to head north to Michigan and Wisconsin. :biggrin:

6. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

I think we need to start managing for a better trophy morel population. We could start by moving the harvest out of the first good warm spell in May as those little guys are so caught up in basking in the warm spring sun that they have no chance but to be picked by a part time shroom chaser like myself! NO, for real guys how do you cook them. I found some a few years ago when i was walking my property, took them home and tried to cook them., They turned out OK, but the next weekend when i went back and seen some more i just walked right over them. I honestly didnt think they were worth searching for. I may have just not cooked them the correct way. Any good tips will be helpfull, i am sure i will find some more this year!

7. Seabee,

You started me laughing there and then crying when I found out you walked over them. Send them to me and I will cook them for you. I will send you them back, but remember they shrink A LOT when they are cooked. You might only get back what you think is one or two morels.