close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hope to get a charge out of this

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by QuailDancer, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Spring is in the air (give me a break, it will be soon) and I want to start a “to do” list for the boat. I’m looking for good information on rigging my boat batteries. What do you guys know of or recommend for on-board battery chargers? Is it possible to have 2 or 3 batteries all hooked to a charger at once?
    New decking and a paint job for the boat are high on my list this year, but I’d really want to simplify caring for my batteries.

2. Good questions Quail....What do you all recommend for good quality decking material? I have a 15ft. deep V and we have been thinking about putting a flat floor in it. I don't want to add a lot of weight but it sure would be nice to have a flat floor.

3. Sorry the name of the company we use is Dual Pro they make a two or three bank charger.

4. I use a Dual Pro XL onboard charger on my boat. The Dual Pros are very good chargers. The company makes 1, 2, 3, and 4 bank chargers, all with LED charge indicator lights. You may be tempted to go with a cheaper brand (like Guest), but I would strongly recommend against that. You really do get what you pay for in onboard chargers.

5. Jl said it, you get what you pay for. I have a 3-bank Dual Pro in my boat, this is the 4th boat I've had Dual Pro chargers in, and I've never had a problem. They are easy to install and have + and neg. wires marked for each battery, if you have two batteries, get a 2-bank and if you have 3, get a 3-bank, don't try to series a single bank charger to 2 or more batteries, they will never get a full charge and it will shorten the life of your batteries.

6. Marble may scratch ,,,so we may want to put granite on that boats floor! Maybe Uba Tuba or Absolute Black Granite for a nice sheen!:biggrin:

7. Don't know any thing about this Quail. But please make more room so I can take at least two tackle boxes.

8. Never seen us use a battery so I'm not much help. Dad just makes 410 row.

9. Tuck, it's a 15' V-hull, not a cabin cruiser!!

10. This place is great!

Thanks for all the imput, looks like a Dual Pro XL will be added to the boat this spring. My wife even liked the idea!!!

11. For the decking I was simply going to use marine grade plywood, but then I'm not as concerned about weight as I'm not loading it in and out of a truck bed. I was going to cover the deck with boat carpeting, but have also seen vinyl type paint on material, may be easier to keep clean.
    If anyone has used this type of product, I'd be interested to know how it's held up and if you'd do it again.

12. Quail, we re did a boat a few years ago and tried to get away with the regular plywood, and it was ok, but it got redont a few years later again.

When I was at Ace, a guy was redoing his boat, and he tried using the Insul-x garage floor paint. It is great stuff, heavy, waterproof, good traction and takes a beating. He loved it. Except, IT GETS HOT!!! If you ever trounce around the boat in barefeet, or anyone else does, or for any reason come into contact with it when you are about 5 hours into a good July sun...you might scorch your skin...hahaha...no first hand knowlege, just what that fella told me...

13. quail , i have heard to use the alm. diamondplate its more money to start with but will last forever then put boat carpet over it, it will need cut first then migwelded to boat braces (just tacked) more money and a little more work but this is a one time deal and less weight than plywood!!!

15. Quail, I put a bigger deck on a Grizzly Tracker about 5 years ago, I got a sheet of 1/2 inch green neoprene plastic from work that they had left over from the new locker room. This stuff is tough and lighter than wood but easy to cut and drill, never rots and I glued outdoor marine carpet to it. Works great for flooring or a deck. I'm trying to find out what its called and where to get it. I'll let you guys know.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2007