close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hornady SST slugs

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Sjgriz18, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Hello everbody, I would like to get some opinions on this slug. I usually use my bow, but this year I think that I might break the gun out, so I can put more meat in the freezer. I have used Winchester's slugs in the past with great results, but these slugs just look nasty. Has anybody used them and what did they do? I attached a link to their website, so take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.hornady.com/media/2006catalog/Hornady_Ammo_Shotgun.pdf

2. I have had great results with them out of my Rem 1100 12ga. Haven't shot anything with one yet except paper.

3. Thanks Indy, did that shoot as flat as they claim?

4. Don't know about them coming out of a slug gun. A lot of guys like how they shoot out of their muzzleloaders. I prefer the hornady xtp hollow point myself. The sst shoots a little flatter than the hollow point but not much.

5. I didn't think they shot as flat as they claim. I use to shoot the cheap Winchester rifled slugs and the Hornadays shot flatter than those. Just try em out and see how they shoot out of your gun.

6. I shoot them out of my HR Slugger. For me they shoot very ture to the specs.

7. Assuming you have a rifled barrel they should shoot fine. Ive seen one deer that got shot with one and it seriously looked like you could shove a baseball through the exit hole. Almost over kill if you ask me. It was a fairly close shot on a fairly small doe, probably 40-50 yards. The exit whole was just huge. They seem to shoot fine and flat and accurate. I wont spend the money on them though. Give me a powerbelt bullet out of a remington muzzleloader anytime.

8. HAVE NOT TRIED THEM, THEY LOOK EFFICENT HOWEVER. APPEARS THEY WOULD HAVE A BETTER BALLISTIC COEFFICENT THAT MOST FLAT NOSED ROUNDS AND THEREFORE A LITTLE FASTER AND FLATTER AT LONGER DISTANCES. PROBABALLY HAVE THE PRICE TAG TO MATCH THE LOOKS.

I`LL STICK TO MY COPPER SOLIDS FOR NOW, THEY SHOOT WELL OUT OF MY GUN AND MOST OF MY SHOTS ARE LESS THAN 80 YARDS.

9. I looked at them, but ended up shooting the remington ultra bonded slugs. Super flat shooting and very accurate...(I know that they deadly @ 209 yards!!!)

10. yeah i tried to use them last year while sighting in my mossberg 500 pump with fully rifled barrel and they were horrible couldnt get a tight group... switched back to breneke's BEST SLUGS EVER

11. This whole discussion is one of the things that has amused me about the pistol caliber rifle discussion. For me, the Winchester Supreme and the Hornady SST loads shoot out of my rifled BPS better than my Puma 454 can shoot. A rifled slug barrel is really just a rifle - they are that good. My BPS will shoot the SST into <3 inches at ~125 yards (as long as I do my part). Somehow I don't see myself doing that with my peep-sighted Puma :)

12. Hornady SST 12-gauge sabot slugs: 300-grain bullet at 2000 feet per second.

.458 SOCOM rifle: 300-grain bullet at 2000 feet per second.

My fully-rifled Remington 870 shotgun got 7" groups at 100 yards with the 12-gauge Hornady SST sabot slugs.

My .458 SOCOM rifle will do 1" or less at 100 yards.

Shotgun slug barrels have too slow of a barrel twist rate for me.

13. I have a buddy that loves 'em out of his encore in 20 ga. I stick to $2.99 Remington slugger's..... 3" +/- @ 100 yards....... Good enough for someone who bowhunts.....