·
Administrator
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's take a poll.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i have two tree stands in my woods from a guy who i let hunt there and they are about 40 feet. That is just way to high. If i fell i would have no chance of living

·
Registered
21 Posts
to me it all is a fact of cover, wind direction, hilly or flat land, and the most inportant is how i feel. lol ( im not getting younger ) 15 - 25 feet is good for me.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Im not much for heights either, i sit from 10-12 feet and thats it. As long as i take advantage of cover and hide myself as best i can i am just fine. I have been busted before at this height but who hasnt, i have killed enough deer to know 10 feet is just fine. I have killed a few from the ground as well. I figure if i was to go any higher i wouldnt have any fun hunting becuase i would be to worried about falling out.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
as high as i can get to see more .i have two trees cleaned to 42 ft have few at 30 and few smaller tress that 20 they will be nice in 10 more years or so. i have a few climbers stands :biggrin:

·
Registered
789 Posts
In bow season I like to be high...but in gun season it doesn't really matter to me. I will get on the ground and hunt just as quickly as I'll get in a stand. But my stand is about 22 while my dad's is about 30 plus he's looking down hill so it seems like it's it's up there a mile.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Its not the landing either, its the sudden stop LOL

I like to be from 16 to 25 feet, depends on the cover and the foliage. I have a stand only 12 feet up, could have harvested a deer every time I set in it, took 2. Just depends on the cover and conditions

·
Registered
143 Posts
How many times can we vote, lol. It all depends on surrounding conditions for me. I have stands ranging from 12 feet to 35 feet.

Always wear a safety harness when hunting from a stand!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have not used tree stands for 5 seasons now. I prefer to set up 100-200 yard shooting lanes through the woods and out into a field and sit on a turkey hunting stool just a few inches off the ground so I can use my knees for support for my Encore .243 pistol or my Encore muzzleloader. With this method, I can accurately shoot deer out to 200 yards.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Stand Height

I have one stand at 18 feet and looking around at the trees on my property I find it hard to believe anyone can get much higher than 25 feet. I really question if people have an understanding of how high 30 feet is. A lot of silos are only 50 feet. I was at a deer classic years ago in Indy and Myles Keller was talking. We were in the fair grounds show arena. He said that he typically hunts at 30 feet. I know that a cement block is 8 inches high and that arena is made of block. I sat there and counted blocks and came up to the top of that arena to reach 30 feet. What kind of shot angle would a person have at that height with a bow and how much swaying are you doing in the wind? I say most people who claim to hunt 30 feet are a lot closer to 20.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I watch hunting shows and videos they always appear to be sky high for several reasons but, it always seems like I'm higher than I am actually. My guess my seat is about 12'.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I was talking to a couple of guys who said that there stands are 30 to 40 feet high and they bow hunt. Do you know at 30 feet high your already at 10 yards if the deer is right under you. I don't think I will ever put my stand at 30 ft. I weigh 226 pounds.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts