close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How many deer hunters in Indiana?

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by November Sunrise, Sep 21, 2006.

1. I'm attempting to complete some research related to whitetail hunting in IN, OH, KY, & MI.

In the 2005 IN Deer Season Summary there's no mention of how many individuals hunted deer (all seasons combined) in IN in 2005. I've called and spoke with several individuals in the Division of Fish & Wildlife and no one has been able to provide the number. Dr. Mitchell is out of the office this week and is the only person who probably knows the number.

So, does anyone on here know how many whitetail hunters there were in IN in 2005?

2. OK, head count!

ONE.:biggrin:

In all seriousness ... I have no clue.

3. I don't either, but that's probably the same answer the state will give if asked.

4. I read somewhere it was about 200,000

5. hey 200,000 thats almost how many people we ran into on Fairbanks landing that time I was there.

Sorry I couldnt resist..... hahahaha

6. Ouch, that's gonna leave mark.:bash:

7. oooohhh nooooo......you shoudn't have! :cwm27:

8. This should tell you something about our fine state and its leaders. Great, only one person knows and he is out of the office for a week. What else does only he know, and what happens if he gets in a car wreck or something? Gotta love it! Maybe some of the degreed biologists on here know, they have time to count the deer since they don't answer my questions on habitat improvements, deer browse ideas, etc. etc.

9. Hey - don't feel bad - at least one person knows in IN - I can't find anyone who does in OH or KY.

Interestingly enough, one of the few things that MI (where I'm a resident) does very well is provide specific information regarding hunter numbers & success rates, while that information is apparently lacking in OH, IN, & KY.

Of course, the quality of MI whitetail hunting doesn't begin to compare (in my estimation) to the quality of hunting in IN, OH, or KY.

10. I thought it was 8,000?????? Damn, nobody in Indiana knows anything about1) how many hunters there are, 2)how many deer there are, or 3) how many rednecks there are at Fairbanks on opening weekend..........perhaps they could do a trash, empty slug and rifle cartridge; and carcass count to come up with a formula and "estimate" how many there really are hunting in there. Then, and only then, shall we know........until then YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Dean I do know that the bluegills are biting.

12. i was thinking i read where there were 200,000 deer killed in IN. but i thought there were less hunters. the total deer killed, includes poaching, roadkill, and estimated natural cause death as well. take it with a grain of salt i may have misunderstood. :confused:

13. Ducks and Bucks....I was merely making a comment about something that went 'round and 'round on here earlier. My comments had nothing to do with your very legitimate question....it was an inside joke of sorts. There were just over 125,500 total deer taken last season....a new single season record. We don't know how many hunters, or deer there are in our state because our DNR doesn't count the numbers of either.

14. oh no problem, sorry for the confusion.

i seen the charts posted. for some reason i was thinking the insurance companies had an annual report and said something crazy like 35,000 car accidents involving deer... may have been 3500 though, sounds more like it.

15. Was thumbing through a book at the store the other night put out by Deer & Deer Hunting with state by state break downs. Indiana ranks 8th for # of deer/auto collisions. In 2005 we had a record harvest during firearms season, I don't recall actual numbers for firearms & bow combined.