close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How rare are they?

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Treehugger1971, Mar 13, 2006.

1. After seeing Chief's cam pictures. I was wondering who else has seen piebald.
    Me and my father hunt about 100 acreas of private land. Last season we video
    tape 5 different piebalds and amazingly all were bucks.One nice 6pt I got video at 15yards.Two were forked horns and two were button bucks. Does anybody know if this is caused by genetics?Hopefully I to will get some trail cam pictures of them this year.

2. Piebald Deer

I have seen only two in the wild. Had a a blown opportunity to shoot one. These were in Switzerland County.

3. Less than 1% of the whitetail deer herd is piebald. The word "piebald" comes from the word skewbald, horses are typically known as skewbalds. Piebald deer are geneticly defected. Other features common with piebald deer are bowed nose (roman nose) shorter legs, arching spine and shorter lower jaws.

Hope that helps ya Hugger.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2006
  4. Only seen two in the field, but they were together and I'm pretty sure they were twin button-bucks. From what I hear, they are less common in the northern part of the state.

5. I have not seen any in St Joe county

6. I've never seen a piebald, but I did see a true albino in northern IN years ago.

7. Hey crooked lake. The reason there are less in northern Indiana is because there is less inbreeding going on up here. It applies to more than deer, I tell ya what!

8. Thought I saw one, turned out to be a cow.

9. Scott, regarding your message. I was told it was due to inbreeding. Is there any truth in that?

10. Piebalds....

I've never seen a piebald, but..............I've seen some bald pies!!:hide:

Actually, I arrowed an 8-pointer in 1998 that had a little white in him. In fact, his two front hooves sported one white claw and one black on both sides. I had them mounted and will get a pick soon!
    Piebalds aren't as rare as albinoes, but if you do have a ton of them in an area, it is a sign of inbreeding. I guess in places like S.Carolina, and others, where the population is just way out of control, piebalds are rather common. This isn't a good thing though. This is why killing mature does is the best overall management strategy. She's been around for a few years, has past her genetics, so get her out of the equation. This insures genetic diversity, and helps with things like antler size, health of individuals, etc.

11. A guy not too far from me shot a piebald doe a couple of years ago. He had a full-body mount done.

12. Never seen on in Whitley County