close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to approach a farmer and get permission to hunt coyotes?

Discussion in 'Indiana Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by Moose1am, May 31, 2007.

1. Well I have read a few things on some other web sites on how to go about asking permission to hunt for coyotes on some farm land.

My first attempt at talking to a farmer out in the field was a sound "NO HUNTING ALLOWED"! response to the question of how he felt about people hunting coyotes.

This farm land is adjacent to a Fish and Wildlife Area that I have found a lot of coyotes in this area. Most of the coyotes are along the edge of the DNR property.

I saw a farmer out working in the field and know they must have seen the coyotes running through the fields this spring. These guys are out on the tractors from morning to night and they see whats going on around them.

Now I have 70 fraternity brothers who most are farmers but most of them are from up North. I went to Purdue so that's why most of them are from Northern IN. I have a few frat brothers who live in the Evansville area and one that lives in Owensboro KY. Most of these guys own huge farms with 1000 of acres. I have only ever asked them once to hunt and that was back in my Sr year of College up at Purdue. I and a friend were taking a wildlife biology class together and we went out on my frat brother's farm to hunt for squirrel. I had a blast that day just getting out and away from School. Every Student in College need time away from School on the weekends. Now my friend is working for IDNR as a property manager. From what I gather he helps to acquire new properties for the IDNR.

So I should be able to get some hunting ground if I work at it. I read where it helps to print up some business card and or permission slips. Sort of like a written legal agreement of the hunting rules for each farmer and the hunter to sign. Sounds like a good plan to me but I have not tried it yet! My HP III P printer just conked out on me and it looks like I may have to buy a new printer for my computer.

2. Coyote Permission

Hey Moose,

I've had quite a bit of experience talking to landowners for both hunting and research permission (Purdue FNR). First off don't try to stop them when they're working in a field, in my experience it either pisses them off or they just want you to go away as soon as possible so they can continue their work, so they say no. Also, the permission slips and what not are a good idea, but I wouldn't pull them out until after you have been talking for a while, get a little trust before you ask them to sign anything. Another thing that I've found is that it's important to show up and knock on the door in person, I don't think I've ever had any luck with a phonecall unless I already knew the person. Showing up in head to toe camo won't help much either. Finally, just keep knocking until you find somebody that says yes. My buddy and I spent an entire winter trying to find somewhere to let us hunt turkeys one year. Now my family owns the property that we finally got permission on.

Good luck.

3. bowieknife 50 is dead on... No one will sign anything right off the bat. Build the relationship first. Also, if you really want to get permission on a lot of property stop by dressed nice and ask them if you can shoot a few ground hogs or crows for them.. Do that once or twice at the most and then mention to them that you would like permission to hunt yotes too. They will almost surely give you permission to hunt ground hogs and crows because they really can damage their crops and after they see how respectful you are they will give you permission to hunt anything on their ground. If that one doesnt work I dont know what would..

Me and my buddy have permission to hunt yotes and varmints a few places and the landowners have gotten to know us so well and like us that they call us everytime they see a coyote.. its great.. we could now hunt deer or fish the ponds if we wanted because we have formed a relationship with them.. Relationships are key in getting permission...

4. Permission to hunt

Thanks for the great advise.

5. I would specifically target farmers with livestock.... Once a farmer has lost a calf, piglets or any other livestock to yotes they usually are a lot more open to hunting.

6. I have a few things going for me already. When I went to Purdue to become a veterinarian I learned that I was going to be in the School of Agriculture not the School of Science as I had hoped. Evidently the Vet school does a lot of work with the farm community. I was thinking more along the lines of pets like dogs dogs dogs in my potential vet practices. Well when I arrived at school I looked at my class schedule and found out that I was signed up for Introduction to Agriculture and Animal Nutrition Classes. What the hay? It was then that It finally dawn on this clueless goober that Veterinary Science in IN is gear as much toward horses, cows, pigs, goat, sheep and chickens at dogs and cats. Not sure where the zoo animals fit into the scheme. LOL

I joined the Purdue Veterinary Club and soon met the president. He was a member of Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity. Well it was not long before the fraternity rush started that fall. So I went though rush like a lot of other guys and checked out the 70 different Frat Houses on Purdue's main campus in West Lafayette, IN. One house that rushed me was the AGR house. It seemed a good fit for me at the time. Hey the guy that took me around the Frat house was dating one of the girls I knew from back home. A girl that lived down the street from me that had gone to my church and HS. He was also into photography and studying Wildlife Biology. He was the photographer for the Purdue School Newspaper too. Too bad he graduated that year before I actually started living in the frat house. We had 70 brothers living in the Delta Chapter that next year at Purdue.

So you might say that I got to live with and sit down to supper with a lot of IN Farmers. Everyone there owned a huge farm or had some relationship with Agriculture. One of my brothers owns the John Deer Dealership in Evansville, IN. The other owns Mumford farms in Griffin,IN. I played Ice hockey with his younger brother years later. We use to go out drinking beer together and I was at his wedding when he got married. HI Bish! :) Many others went on to work in the government. One of my brothers from AGR went on to become the US Secretary of Agriculture. Now I am a country boy not a farmer. I live in the suburbs and the closest thing to farming I do it plant and grow a small garden. But my Grandfather actually use to own a small farm. He raised cows, pigs, and chickens. His dad helped him build the barn. So I was not totally unaware of what the life of a farmer was like.

I have a brother that lives over by Owensboro, KY who had a huge dairy farm. I use to go over there to his farm after he got out of school and go dove hunting and ice skating with him. Owensboro, KY had the only ice rink in this area back in those days. So I went there a lot on weekends. I ended up coaching the youth ice hockey team and got a key to the city from the Mayor for my work with the kids. One of the parents helped get the program started. Naturally they moved to Owensboro from Canada and enjoyed ice hockey. I had played Ice Hockey on the Purdue Club team back in 1976 so I was looking for a place to play. So when I went to Owensboro, KY I always looked up my fraternity brother. I'll be that he has a few coyotes living near his dairy cows.

Another brother is a veterinarian at the local Vet clinic in Newburgh, IN. He got his degree in Biochemistry then after for years of undergrad work in Biochemistry he went onto four more years of schooling to become a veterinarian. He was my pledge classes sponsor. If we had any problems he was there to help the pledges cope. Really great guy. His practices is geared more toward dogs and cats as it's in the city. But I'll bet that he does a lot of work with the local farm community.

And then there is the Purdue Agricultural Extension Office in All the counties of IN. They could be a very good source of information regarding farms with coyote problems.

As for the form that I found on Predator Al's web site. I thought it was ME that was going to sign the form and give it to the farmer. That was my intent anyway. But I guess it would not hurt to get him to sign a form giving me permission, with restrictions to hunt on his land. I'll take the advise about not hurrying up that process. Thanks for that tip guys. I'll have to wait until the farmers are not busy in the field before approaching them to get permission to hunt varmints on their land.

I know that some farmers area more willing to let other hunt.

One of my friends that I met at Purdue in one of my wildlife biology classes now works for IDNR. His name is Mark Reiter and he is has been put at IDNR for 30 years now. At one time he was the temporary director for the IDNR fish and Wildlife dept. That was a position he held until the Governor could appoint a director I guess. Mark is one of those guys with a photo graphic memory. I use to study with him and got all "A's that semester with only one "B". That was the first time I had made the Dean's list at School and it was because I was pushed to compete for grades that semester. You see Mark was in several of my classes.

I got up the nerve to call up one of my brothers who lived in the West Lafayette, IN area by the campus and he allowed Mark and I to hunt his farm the winter of 1975/76. We got out into the field with our guns and had a grand time that day. Didn't see any game but it was great to get out of school and away from the campus life and out in the farm fields.

But to walk up to a perfect stranger is hard for me.

I ordered a CD that list the names and addresses of every member of the IN AGR fraternity so that should help me win over a few farmers and hopefully find some places to hunt some coyotes in the future. Those guys don't really need me to sign a form asking for permission. I'll just ask them straight up man to man.

So I have some advantages that others may not have.

And thanks for the suggestion to wear nice cloths and not go in full camo when asking new landowners for permission to hunt.

My last experience asking a strange farmer for permission to hunt was a solid NO ... rejection. I walked away that day with my tail tucked between my legs if you know what I mean. But come to think about it, he was out in the field working on the trucks which were more than likely broke down and he probably was not in the best of moods that day. He was busy trying to get the corn crop in. So I should have waited for another day before approaching him. I'll keep that in mind for the next time. I was not really mentally prepared to go out asking for permission to hunt that day. I was just out doing some scouting around the Fish and Wildlife Area when I saw the guy out in the field right next to the road I was driving down. So on a spur of the moment decision I stopped my truck and got out to introduce myself to him and ask permission to hunt. I didn't even have time to say the word "COYOTE" before he rejected my approach with a sound "we don't allow NO hunter here"!. So that was my last experience. Sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. But as I think back on the day and listen to your advice I can now see that my timing was bad. Plus this farmer is right next to the F&W area and he may not really like the hunters shooting so close to him when he is out in the field working. I would not like that either. You never know what type of bad experiences he may have had with other hunters in the area. There's always a few unethical hunters out there that can ruin things for every else. One guy that I saw dove hunting in this F&W area two years ago was sitting along side the road and shooting across the roadway at doves flying by. I was driving down the road way and was going to watch the hunters in action. The hunting area was all spelled out and the IDNR property manager had even held public meetings with all the potential hunters showing them where to hunt, where to stand and which direction to shoot. Where to walk into the hunting area etc. Evidently this one guy didn't get the memo and he kind of upset me when he fired right across my path of my truck that day. Of all the hunters there that day I had to hunt next to him! He finally left and when down the road a ways to hunt. Thank god.:biggrin:

I idea I had was to call some of the local vets that work with the local farmers and find out if they are treating any farm animal for coyote bite or if they have talked to any of the local farmers about problems with coyotes. That might be a good way to find out which farms may need some help.

I was trying to find a forum where the local farmes hang out. I doubt that they all hang out in the hunting forums. But they may have some farm forums where they all get together and talk about farm issues. I know that my frat bothers always were discussing the price of corn. That was constantly on their minds. That and the thought of going back home to the farms on the weekends during the spring and fall. They were wanting to get back on the tractor or the combine during the spring and fall of the years. For a house that had 70 people living in one building that place sure cleared out on weekends during the harvest season.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009