Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to get my gun permit without online app. I live in indianapolis do I have to go to city county building? Or is there somewhere else I can do it. What do I need to bring with me ?

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to get my gun permit without online app. I live in indianapolis do I have to go to city county building? Or is there somewhere else I can do it. What do I need to bring with me ?
Just curious, why would you not want to do it online?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did it last year set apointment to get finger printed did all that paid to have it done then they said I still had to go to local police station and pay fees but only had 30 days to complete and me working nights a baby to take care of I didnt have time in that 30fay window so id like to just find a day where I can do it all at once.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I did the on line app. After that initial filing you have 30 days to do the other steps. I went to my local police dept. they took the filing fees and fingerprinted me right then. The state police does the background check. If no problems there, you should have your permit in a couple weeks. Look up gun permits on the state website. They tell you the process and fees.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
91 Posts
I didn't fill out an online form. I just went to the court house on the dates and time they do gun permits. I think it was like two days a week. She just gave me the form to fill out and did the fingerprints right after. Probably depends on your county or town though

·
Registered
99 Posts
The last time i did mine i got the lifetime cc. If i remember correctly i think i went to the police station first and picked up a application first. Then i had to take it to a authorized notary which was at a local bank to get it signed and filled out in front of them. Then it was back to the station to get fingerprinted. Im thinking i also had to go to the post office and get a certian amout of postage stamps for the police station to send it in for me.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Did mine in Indy a couple years ago. Go to the Marion county sheriff's office on alabama street. Pretty easy to do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
99 Posts
When i went to get mine there were 2 options. 1 was a hunting permit where you can not carry concealed. 2 was what i got, you can open carry or conceal carry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The ISP moved to an all digital process this past year in an effort to streamline the process and improve turn around times. This includes the fingerprinting, ISP and local department portions. The local department you should use will depend entirely upon where you live and in whose jurisdiction you reside. If you call 911, who shows up?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
when you call 911 who shows up?

Tipp - just making a funny here but, 911? I thought that was what the gun was for! Shoot that SOB! Call 911 and who shows up - the coroner's office!!!!

As far as I am concerned the slogan should be, "1911 first - then 911"!

Seriously if you live within city limits you go to your local city police department. If you live in a rural area you go to your county sheriffs department. Must be 18 years old. Application will require a notary stamp. This is the way is was for me some years ago. Please make sure you understand what you can and can't do while carrying your firearm also consider gettnig professional training on how to use it in a self defense capacity. Last thing you want is to be "the bad guy".

·
Registered
271 Posts
I did mine on-line on a Wednesday, paid fees, got finger printed & mug shots at the police station on Thursday my lifetime cc license in the mail box on Monday. That is five days total. A buddy had his renewed & upgraded to lifetime through the mail it took him over 30 days.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had my fingerprints expedited through the FBI to get mine back within 5 days when I renewed my 4 year and went with the lifetime but for some reason it took about 6 months

·
Registered
625 Posts
I did mine on-line on a Wednesday, paid fees, got finger printed & mug shots at the police station on Thursday my lifetime cc license in the mail box on Monday. That is five days total. A buddy had his renewed & upgraded to lifetime through the mail it took him over 30 days.
You had to get your picture taken? Never heard of that before when applying.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've never heard of having to get a picture taken either. I just had to show a valid ID. I would think there is a set standard throughout the state on how to get your permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got mine in a week. Went to get electronic finger prints done and then went to the sheriff's office to pay another $50 in fees and then got my life time permit in about a week thought he mail. Took it to the local store to get it laminated so it won't tear or get wet. One week and about 80 plus 50 and I was able to carry a pistol.

Now I'm looking to buy a good holster for my pistol.

The process has been changed now after I got mine and will let you get a laminated permit from the State. And it's all done online now from what I'm reading. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure how they would do your finger prints unless you got somewhere to get them taken by an authorized agent. I got my fingerprints done at a business that allowed the operator to use their lobby for a few hours. They set up an appointment for me to go there and get the fingerprints taken and then they are sent via the internet to the authorities. That's what cost about $80.

IMHO it's all about collecting the fees and doing a back ground check.

Funny but I don't recall reading in the US Constitution anything about back ground checks or fingerprints or paying for the right to bear arms? How do they get by with this ?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
"Shall not be infringed" was thrown out decades ago.

Enjoy your pink permission slip and be sure to take some training.

For those in Indy, take Guy Relford's "Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law" class. He's one of the top 2A lawyers in the State and and the information you learn there my keep you out of jail, as he will cover MANY different cases, some you won't believe that landed people in jail for simple mistakes in what should have been a justifiable use of force.

http://www.tactical-firearms.com/tactical-firearms-training-home.html

I've take several classes from several places around the country for the sole purpose of sharing knowledge with others. FIND AN INSTRUCTOR and take a class. There are just things you don't know until you learn them.

This includes combat veterans ( like my son ) who think they know how to defend themselves, without knowing the rules of engagement as a civilian.

You should understand disparity of force and when you can or can not shoot. If you have good fundamentals, the next after the Comprehensive Law is a Force on Force class. The first FoF class changed the way I approached carrying a handgun for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Just a FYI, you can also pay your local fees online, after you fill out the online form and pay it brings up two options and one is to pay local fees right now online or in person.

And now the license is like a credit card material, that's much better than a piece of flimsy paper.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts