Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I didn't fill out an online form. I just went to the court house on the dates and time they do gun permits. I think it was like two days a week. She just gave me the form to fill out and did the fingerprints right after. Probably depends on your county or town though
i think they changed it so you have to do it online

·
Registered
206 Posts
when you call 911 who shows up?

Tipp - just making a funny here but, 911? I thought that was what the gun was for! Shoot that SOB! Call 911 and who shows up - the coroner's office!!!!

As far as I am concerned the slogan should be, "1911 first - then 911"!

Seriously if you live within city limits you go to your local city police department. If you live in a rural area you go to your county sheriffs department. Must be 18 years old. Application will require a notary stamp. This is the way is was for me some years ago. Please make sure you understand what you can and can't do while carrying your firearm also consider gettnig professional training on how to use it in a self defense capacity. Last thing you want is to be "the bad guy".
i called the delphi sheriffs department and she told me i had to do it online.

·
Registered
128 Posts
When i went to get mine there were 2 options. 1 was a hunting permit where you can not carry concealed. 2 was what i got, you can open carry or conceal carry.
I think you are right. There were two different kinds of carry permits in Indiana when I got my lifetime Carry Permit. I choose the one for Personal Protection which I used while doing everyday things as well as when I'm out hunting and fishing. I signed up online and was told to go to a certain place to get my electronic finger prints taken and sent in. I was giving some paper work and took that to the local Warrick County Sheriff's Office where I paid another $50 cash to the Sheriff and then a week later I got my carry permit in the mail. I had to take my permit, cut it out and then I took it to Staples to get it laminated. Now I hear that they come already laminated. I think I paid about 100 Plus Dollars to get the electronic finger prints taken and sent to the State Police in order to get my permit. Plus the 50 cash that I paid the local county sheriff for processing or whatever they call it. So for under $200 you can carry a handgun even though it says right in the US Constitution that we already have the right to bear arms and that right can't be infringed on. I wonder why they don't just read the US Constitution and stop hassling people who want to carry a gun?

·
Registered
128 Posts
"Shall not be infringed" was thrown out decades ago.

Enjoy your pink permission slip and be sure to take some training.

For those in Indy, take Guy Relford's "Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law" class. He's one of the top 2A lawyers in the State and and the information you learn there my keep you out of jail, as he will cover MANY different cases, some you won't believe that landed people in jail for simple mistakes in what should have been a justifiable use of force.

http://www.tactical-firearms.com/tactical-firearms-training-home.html

I've take several classes from several places around the country for the sole purpose of sharing knowledge with others. FIND AN INSTRUCTOR and take a class. There are just things you don't know until you learn them.

This includes combat veterans ( like my son ) who think they know how to defend themselves, without knowing the rules of engagement as a civilian.

You should understand disparity of force and when you can or can not shoot. If you have good fundamentals, the next after the Comprehensive Law is a Force on Force class. The first FoF class changed the way I approached carrying a handgun for the rest of my life.
Good advice. I plan on taking some hand gun classes and a class to learn about the laws on using a handgun to defend oneself at home and outside the home when necessary. I just want to learn what is legal and want is not from someone who actually knows how the law works. There are some people in my area that train others and have 30 years experience in the police department and were training officers for the police department in this area. Right now I just use my pistol for target practice for now. I do know that if someone breaks into my house that I can defend myself with either of my handguns or my shotgun. I'm not so worried about outside the home. I basically got the permit to ensure that I was legal to carry the handgun when traveling in my vehicle so that I don't have to lock the gun up and store the ammo away from the handgun.

I don't carry it all the time on my person as I'm experimenting with various holsters and carrying methods at this time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You had to get your picture taken? Never heard of that before when applying.
I've never heard of having to get a picture taken either. I just had to show a valid ID. I would think there is a set standard throughout the state on how to get your permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
I think it is some kind of Vanderburgh county thing because no one else I have talked to did it ether, just us in this county.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone know how long it should take to get the permit now? I applied for my Lifetime permit in early February and haven't received it yet. 3 months now. I check online every couple of weeks and all it says is "pending ISP approval".

·
Registered
193 Posts
Does anyone know how long it should take to get the permit now? I applied for my Lifetime permit in early February and haven't received it yet. 3 months now. I check online every couple of weeks and all it says is "pending ISP approval".
Might have to call them , buddy's name was linked with someone who had same name .

·
Registered
625 Posts
Definitely call them. They won't make an effort to find you if it gets stuck in the process. I know someone who had theirs stalled in the process and after a phone call they had it in the mail four days later.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the advice about calling them. I went to my local Sheriffs office to get fingerprinted instead of doing it electronically. When I mailed my fingerprints in they got misplaced. I called and they found them and matched them with my online application and I had my lifetime license 5 days later. This is after waiting 3 months. If you're applying for a hand gun permit, my advice is to do it all online.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Might have to call them , buddy's name was linked with someone who had same name .
I gave them my Social Security number so that they would not get my name mixed up with someone else with a similar name. The SS # makes the process go smoother and faster. You don't have to give your SS# but you can volunteer to do so and it does speed up the process and keeps errors down as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I been waiting on my indiana firearm permit..it said pending for awhile now say "returned" & I owe $30 anyone here know what that means?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts