Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of setup will you use for the late archery season. I've held out sdofar on taking a buck in hopes of tagging a better deer during Muzzleloader and late bow. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is my plan for the late season.... Lots of praying and hand warmers. I haven't taken a deer yet this year. Matter of fact I have yet to take an Indiana deer. I have had many 6 points and that one huge 10 point that has been spooked off 3 times by other hunters. I am holding out for that Mature Whitetail. I have never hunter the late season, but have been told to hunt the food sources until the second rut. I am going to use my doe decoy every chance I get (when no other hunters are around), along with doe in heat, over a food source. Just my .02 for what it is worth.

MIDH

·
Registered
35 Posts
The area I hunt is a small patch of timber (about 15 acres). Being that I have archery permission only, it hasn't been touched since late October when I took my buck. So my plan is to hunt the same stands as before (and maybe even bring in a climber) hunting a couple hours at sun up or a couple hours at sun down.

Good luck.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Food sources early and late and in the timber mid-day, as the temps drop the mid day movement will increase. Also look for the second rut to begin during the muzzy season.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When the temps drop the deer tend to stay close to bedding areas early on in the morning. Hunt until noon if you can stand it. I shot a deer at 12:51 pm, it was comming into my food plot with a small buck.

I would say the best time to hunt in my mind is from 10am till 3 pm. I have seen lots of deer move during this time, especially in either hot or really cold weather. Deer are slaves to their stomaches and will get up and munch a bit close to their bedding areas or get a drink of water.

Good luck, I've packed it in fo r the year. Time to rabbit/squirrel and coyote hunt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts