Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had a great bow season. havent killed anything but ive seen some great nature stuff. ive had deer under me but not what ive been after. i caught a huge rack on my trail cam and it got to me. that trail cam has cost me a lot of meat harvesting time! lol im not a horn hunter by nature. i use deer as beef to feed family. but this deer really got under my skin. he has come withing 150yrd of me in the light but only close in the haze of predawn. lol

yesterday was the best deer hunting day of my life. i seen 5 low grade shooters before noon. several in range along with some does. deer were coming from everywhere. i used the call to play with some and turned several to me! i think im done holding out though. tuesday i mite just have to poke one for freezer. in my area they really get scarce after opening gun weekend. lots of hunters with smaller woodlots and massive fields, leads to extermination.

i havent seen one yote so far! thats great for around here. couple years ago i watched a mother fighting off a yote to protect here 2 fawn. sucks watching that at 200yrds with a bow in hand.

mushrooms have been really lean this fall. maybe with this rain they will pop. not even the puffballs that are abundant on our farm havent flushed good.

hows your sets been?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Only been out three times, twice spooked deer as I pulled in the field. Third time headed in really early was dark I had 2 deer spot me, I was down wind, they seemed curious and started walking towards me, got to with in 50 yds and then turned and headed to the woods, down the trail, past and under my stand. Have had several does come in but not quite close enough.
3 coyotes have come by, had 1 in the scope but couldn’t get a clear lane.
One buck tried to take a close up. Great morning in the woods. View attachment 19156 View attachment 19156

·
Registered
170 Posts
Only been out three times, twice spooked deer as I pulled in the field. Third time headed in really early was dark I had 2 deer spot me, I was down wind, they seemed curious and started walking towards me, got to with in 50 yds and then turned and headed to the woods, down the trail, past and under my stand. Have had several does come in but not quite close enough.
3 coyotes have come by, had 1 in the scope but couldn’t get a clear lane.
One buck tried to take a close up. Great morning in the woods. View attachment 19156 View attachment 19156

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well things have gone south this past weekend. Stayed home saturday, winds were a bit much. I did get out sunday morning and things were looking great. Was out early, climbed in the stand, grabbed my rope and started pulling up my crossbow. As I got it up to me, I reached out, and it was then my knot came loose, and like Hans Gruber falling from Nakatomi tower in Die Hard, down it went, landing with a loud snap. I climbed down, the bow laying on the ground, the snap was the quiver breaking off, took 5 minutes to find it as it flew 15 ft into some briars. Once the sun came up and i got some light, that is when i noticed the cracks in the end of the stock. So now i sit waiting on customer service to answer so I can get a replacement stock.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats awful!!!!

a friend shot at a doe 2 weeks ago and broke his stock. the crossbow limb hit the tree when he fired. said it almost flew out of his hands. no warranty on that. deer obviously survived. there went 600bucks:mad:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
count on putting 2-3 deer in freezer every year. if i wait till gun season around here you can loose. i dropped an 8pt last week. could have shot him 3 times in october but just watched him and his friends eat our beans. i got tired of waiting to see big boy. he has about as much meat on him as the bigboy so im happy. maybe he will stay nocturnal and we can meet next year? or better yet my son gets him saturday! i have seen him a few times this season but either too far or too dark. still 3 good shooters running the area so it will be interesting to see what comes to the cooler.

wish you all good luck gun season!

·
Registered
170 Posts
thats awful!!!!

a friend shot at a doe 2 weeks ago and broke his stock. the crossbow limb hit the tree when he fired. said it almost flew out of his hands. no warranty on that. deer obviously survived. there went 600bucks:mad:
As soon as I got home last night I got my compound bow out, hadn't been touched in 4 years, set up the target and got some practice in last night. I am heading out near Big Walnut Thursday to get a few hunts in before gun season, so I needed to get set up. Neck and shoulders are a little sore after 40 or 50 shots.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no way i could shoot mine that much anymore. i bet you are sore! lol

my shoulders shot from 35+yr of drywall work. thats why i bought the crossbow a couple years ago. in the stand id rather have the compound. it is easier to maneuver, lighter, and can hold it out at ready much much longer. the crossbow is a better tool for the job of killing though. as long as people resist the temptations of shots over 40yrds that is. ill guarantee crossbows result in way more killed but lost deer than bows. its not the tool itself though, its the users.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they do state park hunts to keep numbers in check. also your low numbers down there mite be from the bluetongue die-off couple years ago?

also your a "horn hunter" so to speak. most hunters around here are meat hunters. antler restrictions dont matter to most of our hoosier hunters. there are "canned hunts" for people that only want to get a big rack.

you shoulda been here when the state allowed as much as 4 doe per county per hunter!!! before that cluster__ck we had herds of 15 running around. if they would have just stopped at a year or two it mite have been ok. they let it go on till you hardly seen tracks. before that it sounded like 4th of july around me, on opening morning. 2 years ago i only heard 5 shots opening morning and 1 was mine. sad how they decimated the herd for sure. since they eased back to two doe per person per county we now have 5-eer packs running again.

id be happy with 1 doe 1 buck per county rule. others mite want to manage for horns. just have to balance it out is all.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know the last maybe 5-7 years EHD has hit hard a couple of times in our part of the state. I believe the antlerless limits per county have dropped from 8 allowed in some counties 10 years ago, to 2 in most now. And if I remember correctly we didn't get the extra antlerless gun season last year, not positive on that.
I see deer every week, driving to work through Morgan and SW Marion Co. I have also seen deer every time out so far this season. I think the population has lowered, but it still at a level we can find deer. Also, the price increase may cut down on some of the hunting pressure.

But, the most important thing is, I have 4 more hours, then I am leaving the rat race, heading to Putnam Co for four days of hunting. Carpe Deerum.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
smoked some more deer logs like these last night.
Food Ingredient Chistorra Sausage Sujuk

super easy and endless flavors you can create! no pork added just lean deer meat and seasonings. yea i know deer wont hold together without pork fat. that is true somewhat. these wont be as rubbery as store "summer sausages" but they hold together just fine. just grind meat at least three times use some liquid for binder. smoke with mesquite on kingsford @ 225 till to temp. roll in foil and let rest over night. you can use a package seasoning or play with your own. no pork needed!

the roast in background was brined 2 days then smoked with same method till internal reached 135. the brine pulls out all the gamy flavor that it mite have. ive had friends ask if i made that roast beef. lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
smoked some more deer logs like these last night.
View attachment 19163
super easy and endless flavors you can create! no pork added just lean deer meat and seasonings. yea i know deer wont hold together without pork fat. that is true somewhat. these wont be as rubbery as store "summer sausages" but they hold together just fine. just grind meat at least three times use some liquid for binder. smoke with mesquite on kingsford @ 225 till to temp. roll in foil and let rest over night. you can use a package seasoning or play with your own. no pork needed!

the roast in background was brined 2 days then smoked with same method till internal reached 135. the brine pulls out all the gamy flavor that it mite have. ive had friends ask if i made that roast beef. lol
Looks awesome

·
Registered
20 Posts
Canned hunts? That's hilarious. I've heard and know of the term. Not all Texans hunt like some may stereotype. I've never hunted with the use of a guide, in a high fence, paid for a hunt. I did kill my first deer under a corn feeder down in Llano Texas back in 1988, it was a spike buck. It was my first and last kill under a corn feeder. The next season in Llano, I dropped a 5 point across a canyon at 250 yards me being at the age of 12. I shot it right in between the eyes and didn't waste any meat. The "horns" were no longer structurally intact after the 280 made it's mark. My son killed his first buck when he was only 6 years old. I grunted the buck up within 10 yards, and he was so close that he was forced to shoot it dead center into the swirl of the chest. It did a front gainer and it landing dead right in front of us. We were laying on the ground in some grass when he shot the young buck. I've hunted several states in the middle portion of America, and every time I get around the blaze orange attack it ills me. I go hunting to get away from people, not congregate in the woods with them. I enjoy hunting camaraderie, but I believe a more organized and safer way of hunting makes sense. Releasing a bunch of eager triggered hunters with guns into the woods at once in "unclaimed" turf seems a bit hazardous. Just say'n. I prefer to hunt off of the ground, gaining my wind control at the ease of a simple movement of my feet carrying me to an advantage. I love to spot and stalk and still hunt. I get a great received peace in the quiet hunting woods away from other hunters. Texas Gamewardens would go full blown highschool boner over all of the people parked all up and down the sides of the roads in the blaze orange states if the chance occurred. We actually try to hide from those oppressive folks by attempting to be not so noticeable. That's one other reason I go to the woods, to get away from politicians and cops. Not a fun mix in the peace of the countryside. Does? I've killed maybe 2 in 34 years of hunting deer. If you walk in my house you have to hang your head low to get around, at least that's what old man Frank said to me one time. Haha

1 - 20 of 48 Posts