close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunt

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by HoosierEric, Sep 27, 2017.

1. How would you guys hunt around this lake? Red dot is an overgrown field with some beds and some old rubs. Yellow dot is where I had been sitting. There is some poop there. Blue line is a utility right if way.

[​IMG]

2. From the look of it, Your not in a bad spot but I would sit across from where you are in that small angle or more towards the red dot. They "should" travel the utility line somehow but deer are funny critters.

HoosierEric likes this.

3. There really isn't enough info to really be much help. Deer trails, feeding locations, terrain features, access points and the like all play a big role in being able to hunt effectively. Hunting on top of a bedding area can be challenging as it is, because getting that close undetected can be nearly impossible. Most folks like to hunt 100 yards or more off the bedding cover and simply wait for the deer to enter or leave.

Regardless of what you do this year....once the season closes and the snow flies get out there and follow tracks in the snow and make notes where rubs and crapes and deer beds are located. You will find that these deer that survive the hunt are pretty smart and they can tell you things you may not have noticed before. And always try to understand why the deer are doing what they are. Also put a few cheap trail cams to good use. You can get a cheap one for like $80 - they won't last to long, but it can be worth every penny in the info you collect. You can also have a few guys come out after season closes to take a look and share ideas as well. Always easier to see the details in person.

HoosierEric likes this.
  4. I try not to hunt too close to a bedding area. If I do I only hunt them in the morning and go in extremely early. Most of the deer then come back to the bedding area and you can get a shot. If doing this I would only do it one day and then give it a rest. I prefer to hunt the trails leading in and out. Best case is a trail that is fed by several trails from different directions or trail intersections. This time of year trails that are heavily used should be easier to find as the leaves are not covering them quickly. Even the moderately used trails at my place are bare dirt right now. Water should be good right now so I would also look around the pond for areas where they are regularly drinking. There may be several that aren't in the bedding area. Right now it has been dry and there should be some mud bank from receding water that will make finding these watering spots easier as well. Trail cameras can be amazing tools and will help you determine trails and times for deer traffic. However, unless you can by 5 or 6 you still need to find the hot trails to start out setting the cameras on. One thing a lot of people are afraid of is walking into a bedding area to help locate trails and see if the area is really being used consistently. I am not. Eliminate your scent the best you can and walk right in. Just don't go back for several days to a week at least. Deer are not as paranoid (in most cases) as we think they are. They'll be back and you may gain a lot of info that lands you an opportunity you may not have gotten. That or you learn it isn't as good as you thought and you can move on to another location. Also, don't forget that the patterns they are on now may very well change as food sources and weather change with the fall.

5. [​IMG]
    Scout whole transition line for trails and beds. In yellow. Inside corners are hot spots for deer to enter and exit bedding. Blue arrows First hunt I would do is red circle over looking bedding area. Good observation for an evening sit. What’s the terrain? Where is your access?

6. The field is flat. The rest is hilly. There are ridge lines around the field. There is a ditch that connects in the back of the field, it creates a draw through the woods. I can access the field from the lake or I can walk all the way around and come up the draw.

There are some rubs in the red circle area as well.