close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunter Fatally Shot

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by BRICH60, Nov 22, 2006.

1. I JUST READ A STORY FROM CHANNEL 6 NEWS (WRTV) THAT A HUNTER WAS FOUND SHOT IN THE HEAD AT THE BASE OF HIS TREESTAND. THE HUNTER , 42 YRS OLD, WAS FROM INDIANAPOLIS, BUT WAS HUNTING NEAR COXVILLE, IN, NEAR TERRE HAUTE. DETAILS OF HOW HE WAS SHOT WERE NOT GIVEN, PENDING AN INVESTIGATION. IT DID SAY THAT HE DID NOT HAVE ON A SAFETY HARNESS AT THE TIME HE WAS FOUND.

HOPEFULLY HE WAS NOT SHOT BY ANOTHER HUNTER, BUT PERHAPS THE ACCIDENT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED, IF HE HAD BEEN WEARING A SAFETY HARNESS.

2. I heard about this second hand, didn't see the news report. I was told the guy's hunting partner looked for him until around 11:00 - 11:30 at night before he was finally found. Another very good reason to let someone know where you are hunting whether you are hunting with someone or alone.

3. A friends cousin shot himself through the armpit and out the shoulder by not having the muzzle pointed down as he lowered his gun. It was a muzzleloader and went off when it hit the ground...fired up and almost killed him from the blood loss. Obviously several mistakes could have made that happen...cap on...wrong muzzle direction...maybe even cocked?
    Following few simple rules that some look at as inconvenience would prevent most accidents.
    So sad. What a tragedy!