close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting in pines

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by SouthernTransplant, May 1, 2017.

1. So with me being originally from Alabama, I'm used to hunting on the edge of 30 year old pine stands or young pine thickets that range from 10 acres to 500 acres. Now that I'm here in Northeastern Indiana, I'm sure many of my strategies have to change. I've been looking at spots on Google Earth at Roush and Tri County and have come across a few very small stand of pines. I'm wanting to say that I read at some point that Northern deer only typically turn to pines in snowy conditions. Does this sound right? Any insight will be appreciated.

2. Welcome. I hunted middle and south Georgia for 20 plus years before moving to the midwest. Big differences you will notice. For starters, when you do see a deer, it will be bigger. Second, when hunting public land, get your bow hunting in before gun season hits. My son and I have hunted public land (Roush) and were checking out Pigeon River area, when I jumped on a lease. Leases are expensive up here. Public land sucks, because when gun season hits, all the crazies and litterers, and non ethical hunters come out. Now I am not saying that all gun hunters are slobs, but I am saying that most slobs show up during gun season.

Roush is nice land. GEt the trail cams out now. Not many deer there. Great land. I find the best sign of deer is in the thick crap down by the river, or those gnarly patches of woods by the corn fields. It is beautiful land that i would only hunt during bow season. We had so many people around us during gun season, and we were tucked away in the thick crap. Very unpleasent experience. If you want to experience the pines, check out Pigeon river. There are some nice areas to Roush, but everybody knows about them, and everybody will be there with their guns. It is pretty quiet during bow season. just a heads up.

Go DAWGS!

3. Thanks for the input. I've rode around Roush during rifle season last year and realized real quickly that the area is not safe during that time. I'll definitely be hitting it hard during bow season. And the places you've mentioned by the river are the places I've been keeping an eye on. On a side note, how expensive are the hunting leases up here? I'm not necessarily looking for a lease to deer hunt, but for hunting coon and squirrel with my hounds.

P.S.
    War Eagle

4. Welcome. I belong to a hunting club in Bama. Just south of Montgomery off highway 65. Love it down there. Close to Highland Home and Fort Deposit.

LIV4RUT likes this.
  5. I love hunting clubs. I wish they gained traction in the midwest like they do down south. Hunting clubs are the best.

6. Sorry for not responding. Updates on this post hasn't been coming in for some odd reason. Parrot Head, my hometown isn't far from Montgomery. I'm from right next to Auburn. Liv4rut, hunting clubs are the greatest if you get with the right people. I hunted with a group once that spent more on corn every season than they did on the lease itself and had the "if it's brown, it's down" mentality. Needless to say, I never rejoined that club.

7. I hear you. I bounced around a few clubs back in the day until I met the right bunch, and the right land, and the right mindset. A good hunting club is better than family.