close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunting with a Partner using two way voice activated radios in the field

Discussion in 'Indiana Trapping and Varmint Hunting' started by Moose1am, May 24, 2007.

1. Has anyone tried using those headsets with the boom mics while hunting together. I would think this would allow you to whisper into the boom mic and tell your hunting partner what you see and hear and what's going on.

I've see these devices used at big sales events and you see them used at the local McDonarld's by the drive though people.

I think it would be neat to be able to seperate by 100 yards or so and still be in contact with your partner.

This would help both partners cover each other's backs too.

I wonder where one could get a set of these things and how much they would cost. Would they work?

2. I'm not sure these are legal for hunting situations. Might want to check that out before investing in a set.

3. thats an interesting proposition Moose. My one concern would be exposing the radio base to the elements. Other than I don't think you'd have a problem finding a set to do the job if you want to spend the money. I think that'd come in especially handy hunting 'yotes or turkeys...If I'm hunting whitetail I don't think I'd want anybody in my ear...I enjoy the sounds of the woods too much. I like the idea of being able to communicate with my caller when I'm turkey hunting without moving.

4. I`VE USED TWO WAY RADIOS FOR YEARS NOW. I`VE HAD MOTOROLA`S AND NOW USE MIDLANDSS. I USE THEM PRIMARILY FOR SAFTY REASONS BETWEEN MY SON AND MYSELF. I JUST LIKE KNOWING THAT HE CAN COMMUNICATE WITH ME AND ME HIM IF SOMETHING WERE TO HAPPEN.

THEY HAVE REALLY COME DOWN IN PRICE, YOU CAN PICK UP A SET FOR AROUND $75.00. THEY ARE MOISTURE SENSITIVE HOWEVER, DO NOT EXPOSE THEM TO DIRECT RAIN OR DROP IN WATER. THEY ARE LEGAL FOR HUNTING IN INDIANA.

5. They are illegal to use in the taking of game as in deer drives etc. My hunting buddy and I have Motorola walkie talkies that we keep in contact with, we check in after we are settled into our tree and again around 9:00 and 11:00 in the morning so we know what time to meet at the truck for lunch or if I need to help him drag a deer out or vise versa.
    They are great for safety reasons and with my son about to start hunting, I'll feel alot better keeping in contact with him.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2007
  6. They are illegal.... I use the same as fordgo6. That is allowed, unless they changed the law. I only use for safty, and security reasons.

7. I use the headseats that wrap around one ear and are voice activated. The only problem I've had is when you wisper it doesn't always activate it. I have to blow into it and then whisper.

8. electronic devices are illegal i think to pursue deer , radios , cell phones nextels etc

9. Can someone give a link to where I can find out if they are leagal or not. As far as I know they are legal. I've never seen anything written in the hunting regulations saying they aren't. I know you can't use electronic deer calls or infrered sensors, but it says nothing about radios. I looked all over the DNR web site and found nothing.

10. Some people say they are illegal, and alot of people say they use them for saftey. But I 've yet to see or read any written rules on 2 way radio's. And if it was a rule you would think that they would put it in the Reg book every year. I've also searched for it and found nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2007
  11. I was thinking about using them to hunt Coyotes and other predators such as foxes.

I am scratching my head right now. Thanks for the replies. It's good to see a conversation started.

I sure wish we had some IN Conservation Officers that would read and post in here. That would sure help answer a lot of our questions.

Maybe one of these days the Indiana DNR can open and support a Hunting Question forum on the IDNR web site! That would be cool.

Right now I will have to email one of the DNR property managers or the the main property manager's manager to find out the answer to this question.

I was thinking of using the headset type radios that are voice activated. I forgot about them being sensitive to water vapor and rain. Maybe I can pack them in some big double zip lock type freezer bags in case it ever rains while I am trying to use them.

They would be great if you have a hunting partner and one guy was operating the calls while the other was setup to shoot. This way the caller and the shooter could remain in close communications without scaring the coyotes. I have a set that is voice activated and you can control how sensitive the voice activation is by changing a switch. There are three settings on my headphone's.

I have not used them as of yet which is why I asked about them in this forum.

I don't plan on hunting DEER. I don't like being in the woods with all the other hunters out there. Don't want to accidentally get shot or get shot at. LOL

12. I was told by a CO that you could NOT use radios, phones, etc. in pursuit of any game animal, this includes telling a buddy that a song dog is making his way to you. But that you could use them for safety reasons, like "I'm getting out of my stand and heading your way", that type of thing. This was told to me by a CO, can't remember which one, but it was 4 or 5 years ago.

HOWEVER, I have read on the Indiana boards where C.O.s have given different interpretations of the use of radios and phones. I would highly recommend you simply track down one of your local CO's and ask them direct. There seems to be no universal rule that any of us can find on the internet.

As for me, I'll play it conservative and NOT use a radio or phone for pursuing game. That is cheating, IMO, not hunting. But again, that is just me.

13. No they are not illegal for use while coyote hunting. Very few things are illegal on the coyote stand.

Setups as you have mentioned here can be helpful for my guys when we are filming coyote hunts. The backup shooter is often clueless without audio assistance since myself and the cameraman are equipped with Gen3 Night Vision. I'm currently working on a setup similar to that used by NASCAR crew-chiefs where the microphone is actually in a muff and prevents any sound from getting in or out. You'll see details about that on Midwest Predator Hunters if we get the bugs worked out.

I'd like to see a CO write a citation for carrying a cell phone on the deer stand. That'd make for an interesting bit of case law. ;)

14. Me and a buddy used two way closed/private channel radios in Georgia hog hunting. They are Kenwood TK2160 5 watt radio's. About a 20 mile radius on flat ground. They were from our work when we are running railcars and work great for hunting. At about 350 dollars a piece not counting assesories a little expensive but worth it. Driving through Atlanta we were talking on them and actually picked up airport security and they threatened to call the FCC on us so you have to be careful when you change regions because your private issued channel is only good for a certain area before it goes public again.

15. Hunting/Radio use

There is nothing illegal about hunting and using two way radios, I know this because #1 I am a police officer and #2 For that reason, I double checked years ago when my boys started hunting with me. I can refer you to my source of information and invite you to contact him, his name is John Salb (Conservation Officer) and he is the PIO for our area in Indiana. John normally works out of my department (mornings) in Wabash City and can be contacted at (260) 563-1111. We use them all of the time and hunt within a 1 mile range. My wife and youngest daughter keep one in the house and will inform us when they see something in the open areas behind my house that we can not or may not see. I certainly do not have all of the answers but will answer this one with 100% confidence. Indiana Code is also available on line for research and will contain any regulations or stipulations relevant to the use of radios or other electronic epuipment if it is regulated.