close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I am SICK!!!

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by INBuckHuntr, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Went out this evening, got settled into my stand at around 3:45. At 5:15, I hear a bunch of noise in the woodlot to the right of my stand. Then a doe and a yearling come walking out into the field to my right. Then I hear very deep grunts, sounds like a mature deer. I can't pinpoint where it is coming from, finally realize it is in the cut bean field behind me. I turn my head, so I don't spook the does, to get a better look. He is at 30 yards before I can see him, because of some trees, grunting the whole way. With my bow in hand I slowly turn, all I need is him to come 10 more yards and he is right in my shooting lane. As I turn, he stops and freezes up.

Now what I didn't tell you before was that since it was so warm out the field I have to walk accross to get to my stand was REALLY muddy. So when I turned a small piece of mud fell off of my boot and hit the ground.:banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3

He looked at me for a minute then turned and ran to the edge of the woodlot, he was right at 30 yards, and I could have taken the shot, but I just wasn't comfortable with it. There was just to many limbs and brush between me and him, but I just keep thinking that I might have been able to squeeze it in there.

Now for the worst part, he would have been the 2nd biggest deer on my wall, and my largest deer with a bow. A really massive 10 pointer, probably 160-170" gross.:banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3

Like I said I am sick. It is so dishearting to have hunted so hard this year for that opportunity and to have a silly thing like that just screw it up.

So is bowhunting, guess I will be back in the woods tomorrow.

Josh

2. Sounds like a bad day, but keep with it.

3. It sucks, but if you can get comfortable with the shot, don't take it. You did the right thing. You'd feel much worse if you would have tried to force a shot and wounded a great deer...keep your chin up.

4. No doubt in my mind you did the right thing.It's part of hunting.Sorry that it had to happen,but it does get better;)

5. You are on the correct site to share in the "hard work and heartbreak". More than a few of us can relate. Something always seems to happen when that big one is around....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2006
  6. Sounds like a close encounter with a monster buck, what hunting is all about. Sorry you weren't able to take him, but you made a great choice not to push it.

7. Definately made the right choice. Look at the bright side, he's still there and your still hunting. Just think if he makes it around until next year.:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2006
  8. Unfortunately most of us have been in your shoes before...but it doesn't make you feel any better about it. I echo the comments of others...you did the right thing on not taking the shot if you didn't feel good about it. Stay with it and hopefully your persistence will pay off with a nice buck.

9. Those big deer will make you sicker than a fifth crown night, but like stated you did the right thing by letting him pass, no need to take a mideoker shoot. I commend you using a bow during m/l season anyway. Atleast you seen him thats a big part of it.

10. better to be sick over the sight of a deer you couldn't take, than not seeing any deer, which makes it even harder to take them...

not the worst thing in the world...

hunt him tomorrow...

you made the right decision...

11. Hope you get a second chance at him. I would venture to say that the area you saw him in is pretty close to his core area, considering the time of year it is. Could be worse...you could have gut shot him and never be able to find or hunt him again.

12. Stick with it, you might have another shot , he was on some doe's it sounds like. Main Beam's right your probably close to his home. Let us know if you see him again> Good luck

13. That's a real kick in the teeth!! My Dad always told me everything happens for the best. Hang in there, your day will come.

14. I am sure it won't be the last time something like that happens to me. I will be back at it. I probably would have had a shot if I had my ML, but I made a decision this year to only hunt with my bow. No regrets though, I want to score a good buck with my bow.

Thanks everyone for making me feel better. I think you are probably right about it being his core area, and I know there are other really good deer in the area, so I will be back at it.

Josh