close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I Hope it's Cabelas

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by indylandon, Jun 10, 2007.

1. GREENWOOD, Ind. -- Greenwood Mayor Charles Henderson said he's close to completing a deal for a major tourist-attracting retail store on more than 100 acres just east of I-65 at County Line Road.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    While he would not identify the retailer, several signs point to Cabela's, an outdoor-outfitting megastore.
    The chain previously had options to buy other parcels of land at the same I-65 exit, landowners in the area say.
    Also, St. Louis-based construction firm S.M. Wilson & Co. says on its Web site that it was selected to "provide construction management services" for a Cabela's store in Greenwood after building a $19 million Cabela's store in Missouri.
    The construction firm could not be reached for comment. Cabela's spokesman James Powell declined to comment.
    Henderson said the mystery retailer would boost his city's economy, and the development would include plans for a major hotel and water park.
    "It gives us an attraction that puts our name on the map," the mayor said. "We're a destination for retail shopping. It will enhance that. It will enhance our ability to attract high-quality motels and restaurants to that area. . . . We're going to develop that corner with a tourism theme."
    Henderson said he's been working for more than two years on a deal with the unidentified retailer. A news conference to announce the development is scheduled for 4 p.m. Tuesday at the Greenwood City Building. A City Council meeting will follow at 6 p.m.
    The mayor declined to comment on the costs of the prospective deal but said he had traveled to store locations and met with company officials at least a dozen times.
    Henderson said no tax incentives would be offered to the company. Cabela's, however, often relies on tax incentives to help it open new stores.
    In October, a deal between Marion County and Cabela's fizzled when the two couldn't come to an agreement. The plan called for 132 acres at I-65 on the north side of County Line Road.
    Dave Young, who owns 32 acres of the land Cabela's had expressed interest in before the Marion County deal fell apart, said he's working to sell the land to a commercial developer. He said interest is being stirred by his potential new neighbor.
    "When (Cabela's) comes to town, they bring a lot of business with them," Young said. "That's going to be a red-hot place in there shortly."
    Cabela's stores each hold significantly more than 100,000 square feet of space and usually feature exhibits such as a massive aquarium. They tend to be regional tourist attractions that draw visitors from hours away and spur development of nearby hotels and restaurants.
    The Nebraska-based retailer plans to open its first Indiana store in Hammond in October, after breaking ground in January. The 185,000-square-foot store has helped spur nearby commercial development, said Bobby Lendi, Hammond's director of economic development.
    "Once Cabela's signed the agreement with the city, our phone is ringing off the hook now," Lendi said.
    The Hammond store will have space and electrical hook-ups for recreational vehicles to park overnight, as well as a stable for horses, Lendi said.
    In Greenwood, Cabela's would bring direct competition to Gander Mountain, an outdoor store that recently opened at the same I-65 interchange.
    "That's nothing new at all," said Gander Mountain spokesman Tim Martin, noting that the chain has 108 stores in 22 states, often near competitors.
    "We're still thinking that competition is good for everybody," he said.

Call Star reporter Amy Bartner at (317) 444-2712.

2. I can't tell a lie...this would not make me unhappy...

3. :grouphug: ..........:idea: .............:woohoo1:

4. Cabella's

I wish it were Bass Pro instead. Cabella's always seems high priced.

5. i told my wife about this saturday when i found the story in the star
    she dosen't llike it
    i can't wait because we can go there and then to bps in clarksville

6. Bring it on! That dude would be a ten minute drive for me.:bouncy:

7. I'd like to see a Cabela's just to have another option in the state for outdoor gear.

Through work I have a choice of a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops gift card for my years of service anniversary...can anyone tell me if it is legal for me to go to say a BPS in Cincy and purchase a shotgun and bring it back to Indiana? I know...I think...I can't order one off the internet shopping site and have it sent to me. Any info is appreciated.

8. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

That's great news...and I thought I was broke before.

9. I BET GANDER MOUNTIAN IS CRINGING.

10. good, now maybe i can find what i need. seems like everytime i go to gander for ammo they have everything except what i'm looking for...

11. Bass Pro

Randy

I was with a friend who bought a rifle at Bass Pro in Cincy and completed the paperwork and had no difficulty. I suppose you should have the same experience.

DaWG

12. Thanks for the info DaWG!

13. Cabelas

I hope that doen't knock BassPro from coming to Noblesville. Word has been BP was going to build in the Saxony commercial park in Noblesville.

If both happens, we could be in hog heaven! Broke....but hog heaven.

14. I hope you guys get one. They are fun to visit. I've spent a lot of time at the Dundee store. I used to go to Detroit on business every couple weeks and the Dundee store saw my presence EVERY trip. Anymore I still make it up there 3 to 4 times a year.

I will warn you ... and you will find nearly EVERY die hard hunter tell you this ... you will find that the Cabela's stores carry a TON of NOTHING though. 9 times out of 10 when I go there, I have 4 or 5 particular items that I want from catalog or internet viewing. I can guarantee that each time if I'm lucky they will have ONE of the items is all. It gets extremely frustrating. And while I fully understand that they can not stock 100% of everything they offer in print, I find it very frustrating that they don't a stock the BASICS ... unless it of course is the Cabela's brand (and even then they don't always stock it).

I don't mean to be to hard on them them, because Lord knows the big brown truck drops off Cabela's labeled boxes regularly at my house and I have one well worn Cabela's Visa, but just get used to the fact that you will find yourself purchasing 51% or more of your Cabela's stuff still via the catalog or internet.

All that being said ... I LOVE YOU CABELA'S!!!! I'm a junkie what can I say.:(