close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I lost a dear friend yesterday.

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by DEC, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Yesterday one of my very good friends, Phil Martin, passed away. He lost a long fight with Hodgkin Lymphoma, a form of cancer that generally is not fatal. They thought he had had the cancer for more than 10 years, but was only diagnosed 3 years ago.

Phil was an elementary teacher in the Angola school system. He was a devout Christian. He was a husband and a father of a beautiful little 3 year old girl. Phil was a sports junkie and LOVED Notre Dame football and basketball.

Phil was a fellow hunter, archer, and fisherman, though the last few years he did not get to participate in the activities he so loved. When I returned from my bear hunt last spring, he was bubbling with enthusiasm and told me how he dreamed of going bear hunting some day. I promised him when he finally kicked this cancer's ass, I would take him bear hunting.

I only knew Phil for around 5 years, but in that time he became a very close friend. I enjoyed so many evenings hanging out talking about hunting, kids, and life in general with Phil.

Phil was not even 30 years old.

I'll miss you my friend.:(

Derek

2. sorry to hear about your friend dec. it's tough to lose a close friend.

3. Sorry to hear about your friend - sounds like a loss to a lot of folks

4. Sorry for your loss DEC. Sounds like a very wonderful person. R.I.P!!

5. DO YOU THINK THERE COULD BE BEAR HUNTS IN HEAVEN? MAYBE HE WILL GET HIS WISH. R.I.P.

6. Sorry to hear about your friend Derik. You can be relieved that your friend has no more suffering or pain, and is in a much better place then we are right now! Kinda makes me jealous....

Alan

7. Sorry to hear about your loss. Take him on ever hunt with you this year and share in the memories of hunts past and future hunts together. Best Regards. Traditional Bowhunter

8. Sorry

Sorry to hear your loss. But do keep in mind, his pain is over. Hang in there a keep the memories fresh.

oldrookie
    Bill Reiman

9. Very Sorry To Hear About Your Loss dec, Thats Why We Should All Enjoy Our Family& Friends Everyday We Can ,life Is Too Short,another Reason I Enjoy This Site So Much A Great Chance To Make More Friends, He Who Dies With The Most Friends Wins!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  10. Loss is hard

DEC

I empathize with you over your loss. I lost a friend recently who asked that no one grieve over his death. He stated if he had to do it all over again, he wouldn't change a thing. That is a man who lived a full life and had nothing to regret.

I hope your friend lived a full life. I hope you have enough fond memories of your time with him to last you the rest of your life.

God will help you through this, and time will heal the pain.

DaWG

11. Sorry to hear about your loss DEC. Let's all keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

12. Rowdy

Rowdy

Like Traditional Bowhunter said, take him with you on your hunts. This world can take a body but can never take a spirit. I hope you take the biggest buck in Indiana this season. Im sure you will have an awsome season with someone special looking over your shoulder. Like others have said before, he is in a better place. A place with no pain. A place with the Lord.

A quote that I have lived by for along time,
    "Never put a question mark where God has put a period"

Good Luck Derek

13. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Tough to lose a good friend. Remember the good times.