Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
Be careful out there

You guys be careful on the ice...going up to George this weekend to check it out...

Now, next best time to fish according to my Best Fishing Days guide:

Feb. 26 from Dawn to Dusk...if you can't catch fish on this day....start looking for mushrooms.

Cary

·
Registered
74 Posts
I read where some guys were on Snow Lake Channels yesterday too. Anywhere from 1 1/2 inches of ice to 2 1/2 inches of ice. Clear lake at a couple guys on it too. This warm weather should cause some problems. It's going to cool down big time Thursday night.

For guys like me, I'm left wondering weather to take a chance on ice around here Sunday, or head north. I'm going to wait to see if any reports pop up Saturday. Otherwise, headed to Michigan to do some ice fishing.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
OK HOW THICK THE ICE....anybody been out

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
This thread started out with a good report on Appleman lake. It completely thawed out after the big thunderstorms went through on Thursday. I pulled into the public access this afternoon and it is about 90% refrozen with about an inch to inch 1/2 of ice.

the South bay of big turkey had ice but I didn't get out to check. I think mother nature is just teasing us demoralized icefisherman! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Fished on 5 iches of ice today in Michigan. Only about 100 miles north of me. :) Caught close to 100 fish, but 70% of them were 4 inch gills. Kept 8 decent crappie, couple redear, and about 8 or 9 7 1/2 to 8 inch gills. Caught 10 bass that were released, and 3 northern pike that were released. Lost a good walleye in the hole.:banghead3

Ice was real shaky in some spots. Here's a couple photos from Sunday.

Yes that's open water in the background.:hide:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Good catch, BigBass if you need someone to help you eat those babies give me a call. HA! Look like a pretty day to be fishing of course any day is a good day to fish.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Congrats, nice fishin' but the ice being shaky...:yikes: YIKES!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ice was good in a lot of areas too. You just had to be careful out there. We were on 4 inches of good ice, and 1 inch of bad ice. That's what you get with the crazy weather we have had. Here's a photo when I left. You can see there quite a few guys out there. The second shanty from the right was the one that was half under water.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
We're headed North this weekend to Higgins, and Houghton Lakes.. Couldn't take it any more! Heading to the great white north..:cheeky-sm

·
Registered
74 Posts
where did you go i am dieing to go :help: :help: !!!! is it by you i have ohio license
No ice here in Ohio. Most of the bodies of water are still open. You will need a Michigan license to fish here. I fished Pontiac Lake in Michigan. It's in Oakland county near Lake St. Clair.

Buddy of mine from Hamilton Indiana met me late that morning. He said it took him 2 hours and 45 minutes to get there. So you probably can add another 30 minutes on to that from Ft. Wayne. I'm usually in Ft. Wayne a couple times a year. It's a nice place, with lots of good places to eat.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts