close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ice Shanty?

Discussion in 'Indiana Ice Fishing' started by seabee, Feb 13, 2007.

1. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Doing some research on ice shantys, what can you guys tell me about them,...which ones to avoid, certain selling points on others. What would YOU get?

Curtis

2. Want one? Got one I never use.

3. Well alrighty then!!!! I have two myself. I have a 3-man pop-up and a one man flip-top. I use both but it depends on conditions. The pop-up you have to set up. The flip-top is self contained and ready to go. Most of the major companies(shappell,eskimo,otter,frabill,etc.) models are quite similar. There are differences, but they are kind of minor. Price a lot of times determines what an angler might purchase. The flip-top have a sled incorporated into them that allows you to throw your gear in and go. Drill a hole get in position and bam you are protected from the elements. The pop-ups do not allow this. You carry your gear in buckets. Set up the shanty. Put your gear in, and then start fishing. Windy conditions are also rough on a pop-up. It is like sitting out there in a box kite. All that being said, I love to crappie fish at night. I prefer the pop-up for this. The flip-top is normally what I fish out of. It is more of a convenience thing.............hope this helps!!!!!

4. Seabee, you wimp! If you come down here and fish you aren't using no ice shanty. Take it like a man and sit outside...or bring one big enuff for me to set in too!

5. Like Rico said, there are pro's and con's for each style of shanty's. I prefer the flip over design's, just because after you drill your hole your are fishing. With that said, certain pop-up's are nice because you can stand up in them. I have a flip over Clam Fishtrap 2 man model. It's nice, has a deep sled for all the gear,and is fairly light. Pulls good in deep snow too.

6. Better make that a big one, Seabee!:evil:

7. Shantys are like beer, best when someone else has baught them. Save your $$$ and pick your friends well, that's my advice.

8. I think the same goes for land!!! HAHAHA

9. seabee

Dangit, i was in fremont on sunday!

10. Haha. It's a nice one and sits two with extra room for every fisherman's needs.:bonk: But when I go ice fishing its out in the open or sit in one of my buddies shanny's. It just never gets used.

11. seabee

I figured if i bought a shanty i would be invited more often to someone elses ice....lol

12. clever...id invite you if you got a vexilar...haha

13. Your Not Going Ice Fishing So Why Do You Want To Know
    I Tried Last Week To Get You On The Ice

14. seabee

I was already booked for the weekend, went ice fishing up north. By the way..you asked cory to ask me, He didnt remember untill monday! When you going again. Fred wants to go next monday.